News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

B1 No. 2

Started by NorthernElectric, March 19, 2016, 11:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

thanks Jack....good information. Sure looks real to me. Jeff if you ever get tired of it, the line starts here!....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

I'll make a note of that Doug !   Thanks.

Jeff

unbeldi

Quote from: unbeldi on March 19, 2016, 02:01:52 PM
Quote from: NorthernElectric on March 19, 2016, 01:38:55 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on March 19, 2016, 12:32:55 PMYes, all H-type dials until 1952 (before the No. 6 dial) have compatible contact arrangements.   So a 2H = 4H = 5H.

Supplementary question:  Could a 2AB dial be converted to a 2H (functionally speaking) by swapping on a set of H contacts?  I don't have one but recently passed up what seemed like a decent price on one because I didn't have a WE dial stick that needed a dial.

Quote from: poplar1 on March 19, 2016, 01:08:57 PM
I have heard that when 2-type and 4-type dials were updated with twin contacts, it was necessary to enlarge a hole under the terminal strip to accommodate the redesigned terminal strip. I have not verified this.

I'm pretty sure that the 5H contacts screwed down flat to the base with no problem, but I will double check that.  I don't know if it makes any difference but the donor 5H dial was a Northern.

I believe so.   Aside from the contact assembly, the No. 2 dials all use the same mechanism.
Hmm, I could easily test that as I have a WECo 2AA, and also a NE-5H dial sitting on the shelf next to the desk.

Ok, so I have finally performed this little test.

Mechanically, the NE-5H contact assembly fits perfectly well onto the WE-2AA mechanism.  The holes in the case in the positions of the contact screws appear exactly the same, and the threads of the mounting screws are identical too.

However, the pulsing cam is at rest in a slightly different position between the two dials, and this causes the pulsing springs to be operated insufficiently, it appears. I am not even sure that they completely separated, I did not measure it electrically.   If they did, I am sure the percent-break value is way off from the nominal value, and the dial would need to be calibrated by bending the springs appropriately.  I made no measurements.

poplar1

Jeff does your early 2A dial have any patent dates? There don't appear to be any in the photos.

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on March 19, 2016, 03:35:20 PM
That's entirely possible.    I thought the mark might have been relevant to the "H" type spring set since it was placed right next to the "X" out "AB" markings.      However, the on the rear of that dial, the "W" terminal had a small red line through it, and the letter "R" stamped in red ink directly below.      On the upper  portion of the dial and to the right of the brass governor drum, is "2H" stamped in red ink.     So the letter "H" in a square box, may have more to do with indicating a conversion, rather than the spring set being installed.

Here pictures of the early type 2 dial with the case itself stamped "2A", and the word "STOP" stamped across the face of the finger stop.      The "2A" has been "X" stamped out, and the finger stop additionally stamped "2AB".     I'm assuming the case stamp only indicated the dial type, i.e., "2A", as at the time of manufacture, as workers making the dial would have no idea which porcelain number plate would be installed on it.       The square shoulder of the governor drum is rather unique to this dial, although I've seen it a couple of times on type 5 dials for some reason.

Jeff

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Ktownphoneco

No it doesn't.     The only letters stamped on the case itself, are the "2A" which have been stamped over with "XX", and the terminal markings below the spring stack, "Y / BK / BB / W".     I sold what I think was a slightly earlier version, to a collector in NJ a couple of years ago, and it was marked in a similar fashion, with the exception that it was still a "2A" and hadn't been "over stamped with "XX".    It wasn't marked with patent dates either.     I say that it may have been an earlier version of the "2A" because the governor drum appeared to have been stamped out, rather than machined.    The small center hole where the governor shaft protrudes slightly, was situated within a slight "dimple", for lack of a better description.   ( See picture ).

Jeff

poplar1

Thanks, Jeff. The lack of patent info is consistent with the only one of these dials that I have, which also has the "2A" crossed out.
The reason I asked was to confirm that these early 2A dials contain no patent dates.
However, it also makes the dial that sold today on the $65 BIN desk stand appear NOT to be the same as these 2As, since there is patent info on the rim, as well as the "STOP" on the fingerstop:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16057.msg166222#msg166222
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Ktownphoneco

Your welcome.    I'm sure your observations are correct.     I've had 2 of these dials, and sold 1, plus I've received several pictures of 2A dials from other collectors over the years, and have yet to see any patent dates.     What surprises me even more, is that Western didn't even stamp their company name on them either.      The "2A", and the terminal markings are the only stamping on the entire dial, other than the finger "stop".

Jeff