News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Candlestick ID Help.

Started by Fabius, October 06, 2014, 10:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I came across this in an antique shop. Unmarked but I know I've seen these before. Chicago?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

LarryInMichigan

It looks like a Chicago "oil can" to me.  I didn't think that these were used on ships ;)

Larry

unbeldi

An oil can had a tapered shaft, I believe.  This is straight of constant diameter.

What identifies it is perhaps the fixed elbow perch.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: unbeldi on October 06, 2014, 12:03:20 PM
An oil can had a tapered shaft, I believe.  This is straight of constant diameter.

What identifies it is perhaps the elbow perch.

I thought the the style was called the "oil can" because of the shape of the base, but I may be wrong (it has happened before).  At any rate, it looks like my Chicago stick.

Larry

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 06, 2014, 12:31:00 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on October 06, 2014, 12:03:20 PM

What identifies it is perhaps the elbow perch.

I thought the the style was called the "oil can" because of the shape of the base, but I may be wrong (it has happened before).  At any rate, it looks like my Chicago stick.

Larry

And the tapered shaft:

See also:  http://www.telephonearchive.com/phones/we/we10.html

wds

i think Potbelly's had the tapered shaft.  Chicago had a Potbelly, Semi-potbelly, and this Oilcan.  this candlestick is from about 1910.
Dave

unbeldi

A Potbelly has a shaft that has not straight lines (tapered or not), but a round bulge in the middle, like a belly.

like this one:

here is a an oilcan:

unbeldi

I have 5 or 6 Chicago catalogs and none show a transmitter/perch like that.

The 1928 catalog has a base and shaft that look somewhat similar, but the perch is way wrong.

wds

I have two of these, with different perches.  Very nice looking candlesticks.  Quite different than what all the other companies were putting out at that time.
Dave

unbeldi

Here is a DeVeau oilcan:

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on October 06, 2014, 02:21:15 PM
I have two of these, with different perches.  Very nice looking candlesticks.  Quite different than what all the other companies were putting out at that time.

Very very nice.

Is the elbow transmitter/perch marked?  Sure looks like the one in the store.

The one on your left does look very similar to the one in the catalog:

unbeldi

In general, the collector's names for candlesticks usually emphasize the look of the shaft and perch:
*pencil
*potbelly
*rope
*oilcan
*flute
*gooseneck

wds

This phone seems to have come in several finishes also.  I've seen nickel, brass, copper, and black. 
Dave

rdelius

These Chicago sets were also sold by Sears and possible Montgomery Wards also. Do not know if they were the same example steel parts vs brass parts .

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on October 06, 2014, 01:57:51 PM
I have 5 or 6 Chicago catalogs and none show a transmitter/perch like that.

The 1928 catalog has a base and shaft that look somewhat similar, but the perch is way wrong.

What are all the finishes listed in the Chicago catalogs for these models?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.