News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 302 Dated 4/48 Refurbed by WE in 1956??

Started by Doug Rose, April 11, 2016, 01:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is a puzzle to me, I have a Western Electric 302 with most dates matching.

The shell is date 4/27/48,  base is dated 3/48, coil I 48. Receiver is dated  3/30/48.

This is where I gets interesting!! Bottom of base is stamped SJAN 1956. The ringer is dated 8/56 and the transmitter is dated 6/56. This was upgraded by WE in 1956 for some reason. Very late in the game as 500 Sets were solidly in production.

Anybody have any clues?.....thanks....Doug

Kidphone

AL_as_needed

Not sure about this but I don't think the date "S JAN 1 1956" is common with the specific day noted. Maybe this was a special order ("S") or a commemorative piece put together as a gift. just my best guess.
TWinbrook7

paul-f

The date is not so surprising.

The Bell System was busily creating 5302s out of 302s starting in mid 1955 and we have seen housings with dates in to the mid-60s.

The Imperials and Continentals were also being made in the same trimeframe, to get the maximum return out of the existing inventory.

Those and refurbing 302s were all good recycling strategies.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

thanks Paul.....that is what I was thinking but I was rather surprised it was not made into a 5302 instead of being kept at a 302. I had never seen a refurb date like that either....Doug
Kidphone

andre_janew

My guess would be that the condition of the case may have had something to do with it.  If a 302 with a good case came in, they simply refurbished it.  If one came in with a cracked case, they made it into a 5302.

Doug Rose

Andre....I guess that's as good a guess as any....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Southernphoneman

Also, as we know the bell system wasted nothing, and it might have been refurbed to actually go to a customer due to the high demand of the 500.