News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Win some, lose some.

Started by Greg G., October 24, 2013, 04:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I lost on this one, but not too big.  Paid $30 for this 5302 from Goodwill online, turned out to be a parts phone.  Case is cracked, horribly rusted, refurb parts and with out a doubt the most disgustingly filthy phone I've come across.  Funny thing is, it still fully functions.  This will not be like my other 5302 that I tore apart and reclaimed. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Phones go for alot on shopgoodwill.com these days, often for much more than they're worth.  I am sure than there are at least several salvageable parts on this 5302, including the dial, bezel, and handset.

Larry

WesternElectricBen

I didn't even know good will had an online shop!

Ben

Contempra

At first view, this phone is completely salvageable . I mean it can be restored easily If you are an artist of repair.  ;)

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Contempra on October 24, 2013, 08:57:37 PM
At first view, this phone is completely salvageable . I mean it can be restored easily If you are an artist of repair.  ;)

Besides the fact, that the foot could "fall through." :)

Ben

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 24, 2013, 04:58:12 PM
Phones go for alot on shopgoodwill.com these days, often for much more than they're worth.  I am sure than there are at least several salvageable parts on this 5302, including the dial, bezel, and handset.

Larry

About half of the $30 was for shipping, so if I don't factor that in, $15 was a good price. 
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Well, maybe.  There's so much rust on those feet that I can't tell if they're riveted or screwed on.  It would be a challenge, but I don't have the space to work in like I did with the other 5302.  Anita wouldn't tolerate me turning the bathroom counter into a workbench like I did in my bachelor's pad.  First thing I would do is replace the neoprene feet with leather feet.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3039.0
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

Quote from: Brinybay on October 25, 2013, 03:59:46 AMI don't have the space to work in like I did with the other 5302.

If you have a yard or garden, you have the space, build a shed come workshop and there's your workspace, every man needs a shed, or garage, or workshop... ;D

AE_Collector

Quote from: twocvbloke on October 25, 2013, 04:08:18 AM
If you have a yard or garden, you have the space   

I was wondering where you were going! Thought you were going to suggest turning the phone into a lawn ornament!

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 25, 2013, 10:57:56 AMThought you were going to suggest turning the phone into a lawn ornament!

Nah, that's reserved for iphones, as footpath markers... :D

Contempra

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on October 24, 2013, 08:59:53 PM

Besides the fact, that the foot could "fall through." :)

Ben

;D ;D

Contempra

Quote from: Brinybay on October 25, 2013, 03:59:46 AMI don't have the space to work in like I did with the other 5302.

If you have a yard or garden, you have the space, build a shed come workshop and there's your workspace, every man needs a shed, or garage, or workshop... ;D

Well, I agree with you but only if you are the owner of your house or apartment ;)

Greg G.

Quote from: Contempra on October 25, 2013, 01:04:55 PM

Well, I agree with you but only if you are the owner of your house or apartment ;)

We own the place, nice big yard, but alas, I don't have the skills necessary, or I would build one.  We priced them, they cost a fortune for a good one, but it's on our wish list.  Other priorities come first.
- Mike Row
e

Contempra

Quote from: Brinybay
We own the place, nice big yard, but alas, I don't have the skills necessary, or I would build one.  We priced them, they cost a fortune for a good one, but it's on our wish list.  Other priorities come first.

For some of you, there's no problem, for me yes !..I only have an apartment and my own parking.  When I have something to repair, I use my table ....anyway I put an old newspaper and I put  what I repair.........hiiiiiiii my poor English..  ;D