News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Car Load of AE50s

Started by DesksetCraig, November 06, 2016, 10:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesksetCraig

Thought I'd share this pic I just ran across. I started collecting telephones back in the early 90s. Was around antiques a lot as a kid due to my parents' interest. My girlfriend at the time told me about some old wall phones that were in the school she was attending in Santa Clara, CA. I went there one evening, looked through the windows, and couldn't believe what was in every room...Automatic Electric model 50s. I spoke with the custodian (who said he was the "contact guy"), and we agreed that when they came out for remodeling, he would call me. Well...it took about 2 years and finally it happened (I never gave up). The price went up from the original $20.00 ea to $35.00. I think I ended up with around 30 total, most complete, and some later-model desk sets. I cleaned the really nice ones up and took them to Hot August Nights where my mother had a vendor spot. Fun Times. I kept the nicest one for myself. They also had the entire pix/console unit. I wasn't smart enough at that time to try and get that as well.

Nick in Manitou

TelePlay

No wonder they are going for so cheap on eBay these days, you flooded the market . . .    ;)

Nice find, though. It is not that often that we see a picture of so many similar phone in one location, other than a phone show.

Babybearjs

I bought mine From "The Surplus Center" in Lincoln, NE back in 1980... for a whopping $9.95+ S/H. they have long sold out, but I still have mine and it works great! Its been retired to a nice place in the kitchen for viewing.... I had a friend build a backboard for it and added a #228 Modular adapter to it so it can be use again at any time.... I even have the matching AE 40 to go with it.... from $9.95 to over $200.00..... good investment!
John