News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GEC Muraphone Restoration - Pics

Started by FABphones, May 01, 2018, 08:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Following on from my 332 restoration, this is my 2nd restoration. A Black Bakelite GEC Muraphone.
http://www.britishtelephones.com/gec/muraphon.htm

Issues:
Dial seized
Spitcup missing
Transmitter missing
Body and handset splashed with white gloss paint
Cords in poor condition

The first pic is of the condition the Muraphone was in when it came to me.
Besides the missing parts from the handset, the dial wouldn't move. It had clearly had something that was once (in my opinion) thick and sticky poured over/in it. The body had gloss paint on it. The cords were past saving. This phone was very grubby and had that (by now familiar) oily metal smell like it had sat abandoned on a damp shelf for a very long time (it had, a shed find).

So, the first task to do was open it up and take a look inside (see pics).

The dial of the phone was upside down in my hand with its fingerplate still on when I started to blow out the usual greasy debris to be found in these old forgotten phones.
The accumulated dust and grime was removed, and it was given a squirt or three of WD40 (their electronic cleaner this time).
A little oil (from an oil pen – thanks for the tips from last time guys) was applied to the dial mechanism, then myself and Mr F (who had by now gained a curious interest in this phone) witnessed a Harry Potter moment. The phone came to life.
The fingerplate started noisily whizzing backwards at speed. For fear of something untoward Mr F (who is ex-BT) stopped it with his finger. We took a cautious look to check nothing was about to come flying out of the mechanism, then we decided there was nothing for it but to let it do its own thing. So the retaining finger was released and the phone spurred into life again, backwards, backwards, I didn't count how many times – too many. Then it fell silent.
A slow cautious turn of the phone to check the fingerplate revealed the phone had reset itself perfectly. Definitely a 'YAY!' moment. It had aligned beautifully. We tested it and it turned/returned exactly as it should, correct speed, no resistance. I couldn't have been more pleased.

I swapped out the line cord and handset cord for new, then it was on to replacing the missing parts - 164 doner to the rescue. I kept the original GEC handset and put in the 164's transmitter and added its spitcup then moved on to the exterior clean up. Brasso, then my three day 'Mineral Oil Beauty Treatment' (LOL) followed by a light application of polishing paste #5 (which worked beautifully on that fingerplate).

I still need to give the Bakelite a good buff to bring up the shine, and I have a tool on order to help me do that, so that's another day, but here it is in the meantime.

I adore this phone, my new favourite. And it's all the more special because I've worked on it and rescued it. I'm finding it much more satisfying restoring phones for my collection than I did just buying my phones in immaculate condition like I used to when I first started collecting.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Nice! Great job on cleaning this one up. I agree, it is always more satisfying to take a nasty looking phone most people would probably trash and bringing it back to it's former glory. Take a look at our Notable Refurbs topic, some really good ones in there:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11814.0
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on May 01, 2018, 08:45:26 AM
Nice! Great job on cleaning this one up. I agree, it is always more satisfying to take a nasty looking phone most people would probably trash and bringing it back to it's former glory. Take a look at our Notable Refurbs topic, some really good ones in there:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11814.0

Wow! Some lovely work in that topic. I'd be certainly be honoured if my Muraphone was considered good enough to be included.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

wonderful job.....looks like it is brand new. It is a tough phone to get....really nice!!.....Doug
Kidphone

kleenax

Outrageously beautiful phone! 
I always wanted to do a CLEAR Muraphone, but alas, I have to have a "donor" for every one that I cast, and they are difficult to come by, so there you have it.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC