News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Date ranges for WE Parts

Started by poplar1, March 11, 2014, 09:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I ran across this 684A ringer, dated III 49 on the transformer and the Condensor.  Not sure what those numbers are on the cover.  I can clearly see "584" through the paint, so I'm guessing this started out as a 584 and then re-issued as a 684.  78A ringer?  with 37A & 36A bells.  These dates seem to fall out of line with the dates on page one of this post?  This ringer also has the original box, and is possibly unused as a 684A. 
Dave

unbeldi

I am certain the marking on the cover is the date of manufacture.  In the 1950s WECo made subset covers from Tenite plastic for these subsets. It looks like that is what you have there.

1 25 58 3 =  25 January 1958.  As usual, we don't know what the last digit (1, 2, or 3) means.
I think this may be the latest Tenite cover I have seen, not sure, but I know I have/had several from the first half of the 1950s.

WEBellSystemChristian

Here is the date on my June 1949 G1 handset. Is this the earliest G1 known to exist? :o

Also, here is another one of my handsets, the latest G1 that know of, dated January 1966.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Jim Stettler

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 03, 2017, 11:38:55 PM
Here is the date on my June 1949 G1 handset. Is this the earliest G1 known to exist? :o

Christian,
Please create a Separate Topic for this handset.
It deserves it.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

Updates:

H3AF handset cord        II 50
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

Reply #48 lists the latest 101 Coil as 1935, but I have one dated II 37 and another one dated Iv 36.  May want to update that post.  Also, the first page lists the 684A as only having a 101A coil - should this be modified to add a line for the 101 Coil?  And last, should the 684A and 684BA have an additional line for Tenite Covers as well as bakelite?
Dave

poplar1

I'll add your updates. Probably should also add the 146C induction coil.

I just bought a 531A ext. ringer with gray (--49? color code) cover. 1955 dates.

RotarDad

Poplar1 - Please show us a pic or two of that gray 531A!  I thought they only came in black.  Why did they make gray if the WE coin collectors of that era (18X, 19X) only came in black?  Thanks !

Also I was reviewing the 500 date page and I have some additional info.  I assume you need pics in support of that input.  Should I post here?
Paul

poplar1

Quote from: RotarDad on April 06, 2018, 03:03:46 PM
Poplar1 - Please show us a pic or two of that gray 531A!  I thought they only came in black.  Why did they make gray if the WE coin collectors of that era (18X, 19X) only came in black?  Thanks !

Also I was reviewing the 500 date page and I have some additional info.  I assume you need pics in support of that input.  Should I post here?

Well, I may have hit the BIN button too soon: the 531A housing is painted gray, but black underneath. I have found 684BA and 685A subsets with molded gray covers.

Ebay item # 392014016799

Pictures are great but not required for date range updates.

andre_janew

I recently purchased a WE 500 with a date of 3-55 and it had the 3-point dial mounting bracket.  I thought they went to the 2-point bracket at the beginning of 1955.  When did they stop using the 3-point bracket?

RotarDad

Quote from: andre_janew on March 22, 2019, 09:15:37 PM
I recently purchased a WE 500 with a date of 3-55 and it had the 3-point dial mounting bracket.  I thought they went to the 2-point bracket at the beginning of 1955.  When did they stop using the 3-point bracket?

That is a great question, and I think we have an answer!  I just removed the cover on a 4/55 500, and it has the 2-point mount.  Mine has 4-55 on the base and net, but the ringer and other parts, including the handset, have March dates.  I would say you nailed this Andre!  March-April 1955 was the transition month.  Perhaps Poplar1 can add this to the date range data in this thread.
Paul

andre_janew

I checked and he hasn't done it yet.  No mention of when the bracket changeover occurred.

poplar1

Anyone have a list of the different D-type handset mountings (D1, D2, D6, etc.)? I think it is listed somewhere in the forum, but I can't find it.

MMikeJBenN27

Can I save this post, so I can prove to people with early 50s 302 phones that they do NOT have a 1937 version?