News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 202 for $50

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, December 01, 2013, 01:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

The cradle and finger wheel can be repainted without repainting the base.  I like to preserve original finishes where possible.

Larry

WEBellSystemChristian

I would like to keep the finish, and I do where possible on some of my phones, but this paint has seen too much wear. If I did compound the roughness out, I'm afraid that it will be too brittle, whereas the powder coat will be so tough, I couldn't scratch it if I tried.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jfrutschy

I have powder coated several 102/202's,  I have been leaning toward interchanging the worn parts with another if possible before stripping and powder coating.  I have had several cradles chip after powder coating  and reassembly.  Then of course back to the shop.  I have not had much luck in finding decent subsets that do not need repainted,  but they seem to take the powder coating well.

I have three bases now that are immaculate but the cradle and plunger are worn clean. 

I don't what the forum thinks of powder coating an old phone that needs restored but I have leaned towards not doing so if possible.

Great buy I love the old 102/202 models.  My girlfriend got me. 2-202's, 1-102, 684a subset, w.e.receiver  a nos bulldog transmitter and transmitter cup for Xmas $120 on Craig's list.

Gotta love her now!  Maybe I can get her up at 4 am like Doug's wife and send her out to buy phones ;D
;D ;D :D