News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GOT IT! Bought a WE Pink 500 PU on eBay, BIN $50

Started by HarrySmith, July 07, 2010, 02:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I saw this Pink 500 PU on eBay with a buy it now of $50.00! I immediately jumped to buy it but eBay just took thier pound of flesh and my Pay is empty! I was sitting here freaking out! Decided to call a good friend, I asked him to buy it for me and I would pay him cash tomorrow. I got it!!
It is not in fantastic shape but I never thought I would get one so it is a prize for me! Can't wait to get it ;D
item #290451999098
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

you lucky dog you :D
i need one of these now.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

McHeath

Fabulous find!!  Bet it can be restored to look pretty good.  That cord will be the hardest part, but even that could be dyed. 

Doug Rose

Harry....super find!!!....I can't wait to see the finished product.....Doug
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

You are killing me Harry!

Jorge

AE_Collector

Don't you HATE that feeling when you know that you might have a few seconds to complete the transaction and then the complications begin. You need a drink afterwards!

Nice find Harry!

Terry

Dan/Panther

Believe me I know that feeling when i was waiting for the end of the auction for the 48 500. I thought I was going to throw up every day.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

jsowers

Quote from: McHeath on July 07, 2010, 06:06:58 PM
Fabulous find!!  Bet it can be restored to look pretty good.  That cord will be the hardest part, but even that could be dyed. 

Finding a pink 4-conductor mounting cord will be hard too, but not impossible. The gray modular cord will work in the meantime to light the lamp. This 500U looks to have all hard plastics except for the soft plastic dial face, which would be accurate for very early 1960. Note the difference in the color. This is very common for the phones from late 1959 or very early 1960.

It was a very good deal, Harry. I don't think it was a BIN when I saw it a day or so ago. You could probably get $50 for the pink mushroom cap alone. The seller's handle is kind of right, if you know what I mean. ;)

BE SURE TO SEND PACKING INSTRUCTIONS!!! That $7 shipping is mighty low too.
Jonathan

HarrySmith

Thanks Guys :D
Yes, I was on the phone with my buddy, waiting for him to log on and I was jumping up & down urging him to hurry ;D
I can't wait to get it cleaned up. Not sure what I am going to do with the handset cord. I am trying to buy a 60's Pink 500 I found on Craigslist, hopefully it will have a nice cord. I have a pink 4 conductor line cord on my regular 500, I may sacrifice it ;D
I will document the restoration here.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

That was a nice buy, Harry.  You know, the more I look at those photos the more it looks like Light Beige as opposed to Pink.  But photos can be deceiving. That handset cord does look typical of the early pink cords that faded/yellowed.  When you get it maybe you'll be able to see the dial color suffix code.

JorgeAmely

Harry:

D/P has a formula for restoring the pink color on cords. Maybe he can provide a link to refresh our memories.
Jorge

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on July 08, 2010, 01:17:17 PM
That was a nice buy, Harry.  You know, the more I look at those photos the more it looks like Light Beige as opposed to Pink.  But photos can be deceiving. That handset cord does look typical of the early pink cords that faded/yellowed.  When you get it maybe you'll be able to see the dial color suffix code.
Dennis....I thought the same thing when I saw it, but I thought since it didn't have the white letters and numbers, it couldn't be rose beige. Did rose beige sets come with black letters and numbers?.....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

I think it is light beige vs pink. But the price is still a fine price on a beige set.
JIm
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dennis Markham

Doug, I did say Light Beige and looked at mine before I made the post because I wondered about the letters/numbers.  Rose Beige has white numerals, Light Beige has black.