"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I can't believe I won another Red Bar

Started by LarryInMichigan, March 03, 2010, 12:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110500842989

When I saw this, the current bid was low, so I entered a slightly higher bid just for fun.  I really expected the phone to go for much more.

This phone has an AE dial and a different style handset than my other red bar (which is a converted Select-o-phone).  Overall, it looks to be in excellent condition.  I have a few spare AE dial centers, so that won't be an issue.

The Kellogg red bar (model 1000) is one of the most interesting phones I have seen.  It is really unlike anything else from that time period.

Larry

Jim Stettler

Nice buy Larry,
Now you need the wall version. The wall red bar uses the same base, but it has a wall housing. The wall redbar is one of my favorite wall phones.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Larry....looks to be in outstanding condition. I always loved the design of this phone. A true deco classic. It looks like all you need is a retainer ring and a dial card and you have a great phone for small change. Nice find!!....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I have considered a wall version, but I have nowhere to put any more wall phones.  I don't really like the look of a wall phone lying flat on a display shelf.

I do have some spare AE dial center rings and cards, but a Kellogg card would look better, so I should try to get or print one of those.  I was reading earlier today that Kellogg made their own AE duplicate dials, so this hone may actually have a Kellogg-made dial.  Also, the number on the bottom indicates that this phone has a 16 2/3 Hz ringer.  I will have to see if it will ring well enough with a 20 Hz signal.

Larry

finlover

Larry, you rascal!  I was going to bid on this before work but got distracted.  What a steal at $16!  One change I would make is to switch to college ruled notebook paper for the number card... ;D

LarryInMichigan

Well, the seller is now contacting me to tell me that something internal is broken and asking me if I want a refund.  i am trying to understand what he is describing.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Larry:

What is the description of the "broken" item inside this phone?  ;) ;) ;)

All I can see wrong with it is the missing card holder ring + celluloid + number card, which is relatively easy to find on eBay.

PS: The other defect is shown in the picture of the cradle plane where the handset sits. Look to the left, lower corner and you can see the problem. Perhaps someone landed the handset too hard and chipped the corner away.
Jorge

Doug Rose

Larry....for the phone in this wonderful condition, it is well worth the $28 and try to fix it after. Ask him if there is any damage to the bakelite itself before you commit. This is a great phone on the outside....Doug
Kidphone

Wallphone

Larry,
Ask the seller for a pic of the damage in question.
It could be that the seller didn't get the price that they expected.
I bought a wooden wall phone a few years ago at a great price.
The seller wrote and told me that he dropped the phone down the steps and automatically refunded my money. When I asked for pics, he got really belligerent. There wasn't much I could do except take the money. I watched his auctions for the next few months to see if the phone would show up again but it didn't.
Dougpav

LarryInMichigan

I am currently playing an e-mail guessing game with the seller trying to find out what is really broken.  I asked for a picture, but he did not send one.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I just got a message from paypal that the seller refunded my money.  This might be a case of the seller being disappointed at the sale price and canceling the sale.

Larry

McHeath

Sounds fishy to me, I think you are probably on the right track with the "problem" with the phone.  16 dollars is a great buy, guessing the seller wanted more. 

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

I normally don't like to think that people are dishonest, but it is sure looking that way here.  The seller provided confusing, contradictory descriptions of what was broken and would not send me a picture or call me to discuss it.  At least he promptly refunded my money.  I expect that this phone will reappear in a week or two with a starting bid of $30.

I am having the opposite problem with the seller of the Bulgarian phone that I bought last week who apparently will not refund my money after sending me a picture showing a large break in the phone.  He eventually offered me a different phone, but I replied that I just want a refund.  I sent him a slightly threatening message today stating that I will contact ebay if i do not get a refund within two more days.

Larry

foots

I thought once you bid on an item you entered into a legally binding contract. If so, under the same contract the seller should be required to sell you the phone and not be able refund your money without your agreeing to it.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"