"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

EasyOff (Easy Off) works!

Started by JorgeAmely, July 02, 2009, 07:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

jiggerman:

I confirmed the results with my 99 cents AE80 (factory paint job on ABS hard plastic). The paint melts away after a heavy application and 15-20 minute wait. I scrapped off the paint with a soft wood paint stirrer and an old nylon scrubber. The handset and caps needed only one treatment, but the housing has a thicker layer of paint and it is now on the second treatment. Removing the factory paint job reveals why the phone was painted: because it turned yellowish due to sun exposure.

So after this treatment, I will do the bleach treatment recommended by Jonathan or sand it as required to bring back the original color.

EasyOff has some nasty stuff inside, so wear gloves all the time and work outside.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-06/st_easyoff

Jorge

JorgeAmely

I noticed that the handset threads had paint on them, so I did another application of the handset again. This time I left it on longer.

I was surprised to see that it also cleared the yellow faded areas from the handset. So I decided to do two more applications on the housing. Since it doesn't seem to affect the plastic, just the paint, I will leave it on longer.

The nylon scrubber takes away all the original shine of the phone, but I intend to lightly sand it and polish it with Novus 2. Some pictures attached.

I tried the same process on a Polane painted WE500 and it didn't make a dent. It took off just the shine from the paint.

Jorge

Jester

That looks really promising, Jorge.  Too bad it doesn't affect polane.
Stephen

Dennis Markham

That does look promising Jorge.  I can't wait to give it a try on some soft plastic stuff I have that has been painted.  The first will be a 554 case that has a factory coat of black paint over original Rose Beige plastic.  It's going to be a busy weekend so I may not get to that project until next week.  But then again, everything else can wait! :)

BDM

Very nice! I wouldn't even bother sanding it. Just a good solid rub out with Novis 2
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

JorgeAmely

Bad news to report:

EaseOff didn't make a dent on the numbers wheel for this particular phone. Even after three applications, there were no signs of improvement. I guess there is a different plastic formulation for this wheel. Or since they never paint these, the sun damage continued for many more years than the housing. The paint on the housing would protect the plastic below.

I was able to fix it by sanding it for a long time, starting at 220.

Before and after pictures follow.
Jorge

McHeath

Looks great, and you've done a fine job of getting that bezel back to it's original color.  That's pretty low grit, 220, to have to start out with, but it sometimes happens. 

JorgeAmely

McHeath:

I am looking for a little umbrella and a bottle of Coppertone to go for this one.
Jorge

McHeath

Ha!  I recall when we used to tan in the summers in the 70's and put on lotion to make ourselves darker, crazyness. 

I'm sanding my G1 handset that I painted in an attempt to smooth it out and repaint for a better finish.  So far it looks promising, but of course it will never be show off quality it will make a decent garage phone, I hope. 

JorgeAmely

McHeath:

Somewhere I read that when painting bakelite, sanding it well will provide good paint adhesion. Then I would hit it with some gray primer and then paint. Send pictures when done.
Jorge

jiggerman

Hello,
          I also used EasyOff on old plastic tube and transistor radios. Really great removing paint, nicotine, tar and years of general dirt build-up. This week I'll be cleaning a beige princess phone. I'll take before and after pics and post them when I'm finished. Have a nice day, Jiggerman

JorgeAmely

I have to say it, Jiggerman, using EasyOff to remove paint and old age was an excellent idea. After a few treatments with that potion, I sanded it lightly, polished it with Novus 2 and gave it a Turtle Wax F21 Sun Protectant treatment. Looks like fresh snow. Thank you very much for sharing the idea.

And here it is:

Jorge

Dennis Markham

Jorge, that snow does not belong in California.  Better send it to Michigan where it will be comfortable!  Beautiful job, again!

McHeath

Good Grief that phone is purty! 

The sanding the first bad coat of paint on the G1 handset left a nice smooth finish to paint over, and after painting it again and then baking it I'm very pleased with the results.  I'll post some pictures when I can, but it's very serviceable now and will make a decent looking rig. 

Dennis Markham

I thought I would post a couple of photos of my first attempt at using Easy Off.  A while back I discovered that a black 500 I picked up had a G3 handset.  When I removed the caps I noticed that the handset was Mahogany brown inside.  I figured some day I would have to sand off the paint.  But I gave the Easy Off a shot and it really did a great job of removing the paint.  It took several applications.  I sprayed the parts and just let them soak for several hours.  Then using a tooth brush under running water rinsed off the paint.  If some remained, I gave it another dose.

The handset looks pretty good.  It could use a little sanding in places but not because of paint but because of scratches.  I buffed it with Novus and just did a rough job as you can see some polish remains in the cap holes.  The downside was that some of the product seeped through the cap holes removing the dates.  The date on the inside of the handset shell remains however.

I am going to try it again on a 554 cover that was painted black.  It is either Light Beige or Rose Beige underneath, dated 8-20-56.

One more thing.  For this experiment I used both the yellow and blue can of Easy Off.  The blue can claims to have "No Fumes".  I found both worked about the same.