News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I thought they used to give you gold watches when you retired?

Started by Greg G., February 26, 2010, 04:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

But I guess if you worked as a switchboard operator, they let you take that instead:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/atq/1608480612.html
( dead link 03-02-21 )

QuoteThis Stromberg-Carlson Telephone Switchboard was put into service at the Georgia-Pacific Company in Coos Bay, Oregon around 1955. My grandmother worked there until 1979. It was removed from service around the same time. She brought it home and it has been in storage around the family ever since. About 5 years ago we had an antique telephone equipment collector come look at it and he estimated its value around $600. It really is in great shape. It has a little paint on the side from the cubby it was installed in at the Mill. All the lines and switches work. All the old wiring inside is still there. The dialer works too. Although its return spring is a little sticky. It really is a step back in time when you see this thing. Email me at the above link if you have more questions or are interested. Cash Only. No trades please.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

foots

"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"