News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE35

Started by LarryInMichigan, October 15, 2018, 03:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I had been looking for an affordable AE35 for a while, and a few weeks ago, one appeared on ebay for $75 (ebay link), so I took a chance.  It took about a week to arrive, but I was pleased to see that it arrived safely and was mostly intact, including a SL ringer.  I cleaned and polished it and just reassembled it.  The bakelite is mostly in great condition after sanding out a few scratches.  I repainted the brass handset parts black (as they were originally).  I have no idea where to put this phone, but I am glad to finally have an AE35.

Larry

Doug Rose

Real nice Larry......beautiful phone....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Nice! Good catch at that price. Cleaned up nicely! It was just up the road from me, I could have picked it up. I think I have an Extensicord for it if you are interested. I put one on the the one I restored a while back, looks good on them!

EDIT - I just looked the picture, I put a Brown Extensicord on that one but I think I have a Black one left.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Gary Millam

Wow! Nice job reconditioning the phone, looks great. An AE35 is on
my want list also.

Gary

LarryInMichigan

I really like the chrome bands on Harry Smith's handset.  I don't have any type 38 handsets with chrome.  I am jealous now.

Larry

HarrySmith

I had all the metal parts done in new nickle when I restored it. Those bands were brassed out to start with. That was when our own Dencins was doing nickle. I even put up a poll here to get opinions on if they should be nickle, brass or black when I did it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

~

How about that, Larry....you have a knack for getting highly desired phones for workin' man prices! Congrats, again!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

kleenax

I have an original RED AE35, but it is faded BADDDDD!  some of it is almost a milky pink it's so faded, and it's deformed as well.

Pics will come sometime; I hope ;-)

Oops; forgot I DID take pics of it and others that I found back in 2011 or something like that.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Jim Stettler

Quote from: kleenax on October 23, 2018, 06:52:12 PM
I have an original RED AE35, but it is faded BADDDDD!  some of it is almost a milky pink it's so faded, and it's deformed as well.

Pics will come sometime; I hope ;-)

Oops; forgot I DID take pics of it and others that I found back in 2011 or something like that.
Ray,
That is a notable amount of HTF   phones, Too bad about the condition. They are still very cool.
Jim S,
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

I think they look good even in that condition. I'd find a rustic space for them and call the area the 'Cool Phones In Need of Some TLC Display'.   ;D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

kleenax

Quote from: Jim S. on October 23, 2018, 10:14:02 PM
Ray,
That is a notable amount of HTF   phones, Too bad about the condition. They are still very cool.
Jim S,
Yea, they are still VERY cool!  I was actually commissioned by another collector to purchase them (I didn't have even close to enough $$ to purchase!) after I discovered them. They were stored in an old, ALL-WOODEN Pullman car, out in the middle of an empty field, about 10 miles from the nearest RR tracks! The guy that sold them to me said that the phones were in mint condition when they were first stored in old wooden apple crates 60 yrs ago. And the best part was that the baby-blue AE40 in the photo was found after we had completed the deal and loaded the other phones, so he just said, "you might as well just take that one too".........Some of you might not realize that IF you see a baby-blue AE1, 40, 50 etc, it is most probably an ORCHID original that has faded to baby-blue. It was in perfect shape with the exception of the fading; a $2,000 "gift" from the seller!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC