News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Best Place to hang a space saver

Started by olderdude60, April 15, 2012, 09:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olderdude60

Hi All!  I purchase a sweet Space Saver at the phone show in Monroe Michigan - complete with bracket!  So I've been wandering around the house with it, trying to find a "suitable" location.......Any suggestions or pictures of where you've installed yours?

Jim

canuckphoneguy

I have my wall phone in the kitchen. It doesn't take up any counter space that way.

Adam

I don't think the phone company, themselves, ever had a good answer for this.

The image below, from the 1969 Bell System key systems manual suggests permanently attaching them to the side of a desk, which I've always thought, since seeing this photo many decades ago, was a really stupid idea.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

jsowers

When I lived in Chapel Hill, my landlady had an ivory AE SpaceMaker, which is the same general footprint as the WE SpaceSaver, mounted under her kitchen cabinets, on the wall, with an ivory AE external ringer so loud that it was the only one needed in the house.

I think it was original to the house, which was typical mid-century modern and had floor-to-ceiling windows in the living room on two sides and one of those see-through fireplaces to the dining room. Curiously, the Southern Bell installer stopped by one day--this was 1979 or so--and said he needed to replace both her phones. I picked out ivory rotary Trimlines (in her absence) and once she got used to the wimpy ring, they were fine.

I wish I had those old AE phones now! The SpaceMaker had a chrome fingerwheel and worked perfectly. Whatever independent phone company that served Chapel Hill must've been bought out by Southern Bell, and this was before divestiture, so she was leasing her phones. They also made everything in the house modular at that time.
Jonathan

dpaynter1066

I've wonderd this very thing.   I thought maybe in the bathroom stall next to the toilet, but decided no, that might get me into a  nasty predicament of some sort.  So I decided not.

Subsequently, I have found that the ideal place for a spacesaver telephone is in an old shoebox on a shelf in the garage.  I liked that so well I have two of them in the shoebox now.