News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lampitis strikes - Super Aladdin (Model 14?) hanging lamp...

Started by twocvbloke, February 06, 2017, 12:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Well, I've been wanting to get a hanging Aladdin lamp since before I got my 23, but people think they're work lots of money and therefore try to sell them as such, meaning they remain for sale even today, but that aside, I came across this one on ebay, its a bit of a mutt, that's a given, but, at £18.55, it's cheap enough and got all the prerequisites to satisfy my wants... :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162376160545

Things that are "wrong", well, there's no diffuser bell, the font appears that it used to be chrome but has been over-polished so I'll probably try to brass it out and polish it up, there's no chimney (still have my Heelless & adaptor though), there's no chain or ceiling mount, there's no mantle (still have two spare), there's no shade and they're ridiculously expensive to buy (glass or "paper" shade), and I don't believe that Super Aladdin (Model 14 I believe) burner belongs on that font, but I don't care about that to be honest, it's mostly the hanging frame I'm interested in... :)

Oh, and of course, the elephant in the room, that enamelled roasting tin lid fashioned into a crude reflector/shade, looks silly and will definitely not stay with the lamp!!! ;D

Anyway, pictures (first 6 at least!):

twocvbloke

Rest of the pics, plus where I believe the "reflector" may have come from (or something very similar to it)!!

TelePlay

Nice lamp. Intense project. Quite a bit of work. But in the end, illuminating results.

Between you and I we've got lamps covered from A to Z, Aladdin to Dietz . . .   ;)

twocvbloke

Can't wait to get it, that's a given, I know I need to get a diffuser for the top of the hanger, can't use it without otherwise it'll probably burn the ceiling (and hanging chain too probably) given how much heat an Aladdin puts out, only trouble is, them diffusers are expensive and only seemingly available in the US, but I have an idea for that which I'll go into when the lamp gets here... ;D

It's not the worst lamp I'll have cleaned up, the worst being a cheap imitation duplex burner that was electrified from the factory (probably in Hong Kong), it was badly corroded, missing parts like the chimney and shade aswell as the power cable, and the lamp socket was damaged, but, lots of polishing, acquiring spares from a similar lamp that fell apart (literally, the tank on the font cracked up like dried mud on a hot day!) and it ended up as this:

andy1702

If you need any kind of oil lamp bits there's a shop called 'Parafinalia' in Ilkeston who stock a wide range of spares. They do mail order too. I can't remember their website address offhand but a Google search will probably find it. Prices are sensible and the guy really know his stuff when it comes to vintage lamps.

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

I think I've come across them on ebay, will keep them in mind for when I'm looking for bits and pieces... :)

andy1702

You're better to buy direct from them and save e-bay fees. If you're ever near Ilkeston the shop is worth a visit too. I daren't go in because I've got too many oil lamps already.  ;D

twocvbloke

Ilkeston's about 3 hours south of here, so, a bit far to wander to visit the shop...  ;D

As for too many lamps, well, I'm not that much better myself, particularly mantle lamps (gas or paraffin), so far it's 2x aladdins (when this hanging one arrives), 2x CampinGaz LumoGaz Plus lamps, a cheap chinese mini gas mantle lamp, aswell as a handful of cheap hurricane lanterns... ;D

twocvbloke

Sod's law, had to go somewhere for an appointment, lamp was attempted to be delivered today while I was out, and unlike in the US, they (Royal Mail) don't leave parcels on our doorsteps, so I've had to rearrange delivery for Friday... :-\

andy1702

Does that mean the postman gets ro have a secind try at breaking / losing it before it gets to you? That's what happens here. I always ask people NOT to use royal mail now.

twocvbloke

Pretty much, but given there's no glass parts to the lamp at the moment, then they'd have to drive over it with their vauxhall combo to try and break it, which would be pretty irresponsible, but that said, they're not that bad round here, it was the likes of citylink I hated, thank goodness they went belly up... ;D

19and41

Looks like that will make a nice lamp for the home or shed, without the need for a flat surface to support it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Quote from: 19and41 on February 09, 2017, 02:27:49 PM
Looks like that will make a nice lamp for the home or shed, without the need for a flat surface to support it.

Nah, don't think I'd be using it in the shed, the roof's too low out there to have it at a decent height without burning the wooden structure of that rotten shack I occasionally play in, definitely more of an indoor lamp, ether free-standing or sat in the hanging frame... :)

I've been looking about on ebay to try and find a suitable shade for it but so far I've not seen anything (that and I haven't got the dimensions required to sit a shade on the frame, so, mostly just looking), would like something like the one on my 23, a simple white shade, but, we shall see...

Though as a random aside, on my searching for shades, I came across this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222397928402

The lamp doesn't interest me (despite the Kosmos burner being intriguing, it's not a mantle lamp!), but the shade on it, that is the first time I've seen a shade in blue like that, and I quite like it, it would sit nicely atop the electric lamp I pictured earlier with the green shade... :)

twocvbloke

Well, it arrived (again) today, just been looking it over and it's in pretty good shape, smells pretty musty though so may have been sat in a shed for many years, but overall I'm happy with it, even the wick seems to be brand new and never used (but is where the musty smell is coming from the most!!) as there's plenty on there ready to go, made the mistake of removing the wick though as I struggled to get it back in without the paper feeder tags they applied to new wicks back in the day (they no longer do that today I believe, so any paper-tagged wicks are NOS), but it's back in, needs charring off first before its used though... :)

Just need to start polishing it up to see how it looks as is as to whether or not I want to brass it out or leave it as is, the chrome plating on the top of the font is mostly missing, but the bowl part of the font is still well-covered with chrome, so might just leave it as a "two-tone" finish, brass up top, chrome below...  ;D

Anyway, obligatories:

twocvbloke

Three more pics, not going to do anything with the pan lid shade, it's scrap metal to be honest, but thought I'd throw the wick winder's numbers in there aswell as a "before" picture as I'm about to start polishing while watching Cheers... :)