News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Beautiful North Galion

Started by Doug Rose, November 15, 2010, 09:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Janet found a real nice North Galion yesterday at the last Flea market of the year. It is in wonderful condition, great shine to the bakelite and like new cloth cords. I am far from an expert on these, and I cannot get it to ring otherwise it works great. I am assuming from the marking on the bottom its a frequency ringer. I don't want to touch anything, I want it as found. No need to open it as it works great and I don't want to take any chances....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Nice one!

It's worth a quick look inside to see if someone just disconnected the ringer.

The bottom stamping just indicates what ringer was in the phone when it was made.  The ringer could have been replaced several times while in service or by a collector.  If it's a 33 Hz ringer, it would likely ring if connected - or at least vibrate.

You'll probably find the wiring diagram inside on the capacitor.

Reference info on North ringers for this set is here:
 http://www.paul-f.com/NorthRingers.html
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

thanks Paul...I'm checking it out. Mental health day after a LATE Patriot's WIN!!!....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

No ring...looks like its wired correctly...frequency ringer??
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I'm having fun talking to myself, frequency ringer. I moved the bells so hey are almost touching and I hear a low, but audible ring. Beautiful phone dated 12/48....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Sure is pretty!
Try hooking up a known good ringer and see what happens!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

Interesting game.  I almost went to bed early, as the Pats seemed to have things under control -- but the Steelers showed some life in the 4th quarter.  I'm glad I stayed up.

Frequency ringer.

Check out the link in my previous post to see where the ringer is marked for details.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Adam

Extremely pretty, inside and out.

Hey, isn't that a Western Electric induction coil?  I knew North used AE parts like AE dials, but they got parts from WE too?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

LarryInMichigan

QuoteHey, isn't that a Western Electric induction coil?

I believe that North did use WE induction coils in some of their phones.  I have one Galion base with a WE coil and two with a different coil.  I think that the one with the WE coil is later than the others.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Doug Rose

Quote from: masstel on November 15, 2010, 10:53:10 AM
Extremely pretty, inside and out.

Hey, isn't that a Western Electric induction coil?  I knew North used AE parts like AE dials, but they got parts from WE too?
North did use a lot WE parts. Elements in the headsets, coil, cords, sometimes WE dials, sometime AE dials. Its a cool phone, a lot of 302 parts, but nothing like a 302 in my estimation. ....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

That phone has been used carefully or stored all these years.  It's in very nice shape.  Even the "bug catcher" on the back is in good shape (grille screen).  Any Galion I've worked on had a Western 101A induction coil.

Another nice find, Doug.

Doug Rose

thanks Dennis....Janet brought this home and said she wasn't sure if I like these. I told her the perfect WE cloth cords were worth more than she paid for it. It doesn't look like it saw much use, if any. Clean as a whistle inside and out. I just wiped a little dust off of it....Doug
Kidphone

DARK FATHER

I just bought a WE 302 ringer on Ebay for my dad's Galion.  I offered the seller $10 for a tested one and he accepted.  He had others like it too.  I also bought the mounting bracket off the oldphones website to properly mount it.  You might consider going this route to get that beauty to ring!  It must have been a model that never sold or something to be in that kind of shape.  It sure is a shame that the original ringers for these Galions apparently will not work on the modern systems of today.  I just count myself lucky that I am able to use ALL my rotary phones on my existing phone system, since some companies supposedly do not work on the pulse system anymore.

Doug Rose

Quote from: DARK FATHER on November 15, 2010, 10:01:48 PM
I just bought a WE 302 ringer on Ebay for my dad's Galion.  I offered the seller $10 for a tested one and he accepted.  He had others like it too.  I also bought the mounting bracket off the oldphones website to properly mount it.  You might consider going this route to get that beauty to ring!  It must have been a model that never sold or something to be in that kind of shape.  It sure is a shame that the original ringers for these Galions apparently will not work on the modern systems of today.  I just count myself lucky that I am able to use ALL my rotary phones on my existing phone system, since some companies supposedly do not work on the pulse system anymore.
DARK FARTHER ...I'd rather keep the phone in original condition. It rings, it just low. I can deal with it. It is all original in like new condition, I don't want to start swapping parts out of it. The North Galions also came with straight line ringer, that work fine on today's systems....take care...Doug
Kidphone