Main Menu

Telephones become a necessity, not a luxury CBC RADIO PLUS DEMOS

Started by HELLO CENTRAL, January 16, 2010, 08:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HELLO CENTRAL

Telephones become a necessity, not a luxury
Broadcast Date: April 29, 1945   CBC RADIO PLUS DEMOS
http://archives.cbc.ca/programs/320-6257/page/1/
Couples court, businessmen deal, and firefighters help — all by telephone. Nearly all aspects of Canadian life have changed since the telephone took hold. Even before the start of the Second World War Canadians made more phone calls per capita than citizens of any other country. Now, as the war draws to a close in 1945, CBC Radio host John Fisher predicts "the very words of victory shall be spread by telephone."

Fisher is saluting the 65th anniversary of Bell Canada, the largest of the country's 4,000 telephone companies. In 1914, he notes, the telephone had been a luxury in Canadian homes. But now there's one phone for every five people, and Canada supplies phone equipment to many other countries. Because of its speed of communication and the way it has shaped users' lives, the telephone is a necessity for everyday life.
HELLO CENTRAL.

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HELLO CENTRAL

Doing better now.  Had some not too serious issues at end of summer.  Thanks for asking.  Best, Walt
HELLO CENTRAL.

McHeath

Glad you are back.

That's interesting stuff about Canada being so phone fond back in the 40's. 

HELLO CENTRAL

Thank you!

I found the sound demos of older equipment interesting.

Here in New Jersey, our quality is often not much better than 1945, like the cereal: snap- crackle - pop.  I haven't switched over to fiber-optics.  Now, where did I put the string and the two cans, I have to make a local call. . . ;D  It's too late to shout across town, I might wake up the neighborhood!

Best, Walt
HELLO CENTRAL.

Dennis Markham

I enjoyed listening to the radio program, Walt.  Thank you.  It's good to have you back on the Forum.  Glad you're feeling better.  We all look forward to "hearing" from you again.

~Dennis

HELLO CENTRAL

HELLO CENTRAL.