News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first good find

Started by jfrutschy, August 19, 2013, 08:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfrutschy

Just got this at a yard sale. $45.  WE 5al, dial 2ab.  This my first stick with a dial.  The paint is in great shape.  Frayed cord,  over all very nice condition.  Never had much luck with garage sales. 

LarryInMichigan

That is a very nice find.  You could probably visit every garage sale in southeastern Michigan for ten years and never find anything like that.

Larry

Doug Rose

very nice John....congrats!!!....Doug
Kidphone

wrangler64

Nice phone. You must all have better garage sales and flea markets than I ever find here.  Seems all the garage sales/flea markets here ever sell is old margarine tubs and ice cream pails along with boxes of old harlequin romance novels.

xhausted110

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 19, 2013, 08:58:33 PM
That is a very nice find.  You could probably visit every garage sale in southeastern Michigan for ten years and never find anything like that.

Larry

I can tell you, that is 100% true! all we have in SE Michigan is 500's and the occasional 302!
- Evan

LarryInMichigan

I very seldom find any phones at garage sales here, but I have found enough baby clothes and toys to outfit the young population of a large country.  Plenty of worthless knick-knacks too...

Larry

AE_Collector

Oh well, one less out there for Doug...err Janet to find!

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

Last time I found a candlestick for sale, the woman wanted $200 for it :-\
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HowardPgh

Very nice find-looks all original too!

I think everyone around here shops at the same WalMart.  Same old c**p at 99.99% of the sales here.  But I still keep going. There's always hope?
Howard

jfrutschy

I have since disassembled the stick, cleaned polished, replaced the line cord and am awaiting a handset cord, I serviced the dial and tested it using a old 302 converted subset.  The phone works great, and looks fantastic after cleaning, it was in outstanding condition.

My main question now is what subset is the most time appropriate for this model.

poplar1

Since it is marked 51AL, a 534A subset would be from the same time period--1920s.

WE apparently started dating phones in 1929. That's the only manufacture date I've seen in (later) 51ALs. Yours is probably older since the dial has patent dates on the outside of the dial.

Could you show the insides?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

jfrutschy

Here's a couple shots of the insides.

poplar1

It appears to be wired correctly. The black wire in the cord won't be connected either in the phone or the subset.

Doug Rose

Quote from: poplar1 on August 28, 2013, 09:26:02 PM
It appears to be wired correctly. The black wire in the cord won't be connected either in the phone or the subset.
Isn't it a 151 AL with the block? Is it stamped 151AL on the front of the perch?....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

151-AL has two blocks. 51-AL has one. 50-AL has none.

Here is a 151-AL: