News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500 Touch Tone in circular dial inset.

Started by HobieSport, June 16, 2009, 09:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I have saw a few but never even stop to look at them
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

paul-f

Western Electric and Northern Electric did NOT use 3500 numbers for these sets.  

Western's 3500-series had 66-type dials for Autovon.
 http://www.paul-f.com/weAutovon.html

To the best of my knowledge, Western never used a round filler with a 12-button dial in a production set.  Northern did and used 2500-series numbers.

ITT used 3500 numbers, but didn't have the Autovon numbering conflict.

The round ITT fillers have been available seperately for years, so it's possible to find WE  or NE sets that have been modified using those parts.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

bingster

Is the horizontal bar on the back a latch of some sort?  It seems like overkill if it is.
= DARRIN =

Jim Stettler

I was thinking of the SC mini wall.  I like the look of the mini wall vs the 554.

WE did make some proto types that were somewhat like the mini-wall.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

deedubya3800

I had never seen the 1654. That's cute. :) Is it the same size and shape as the 2554? I've never been a big fan of the 2554, but a rotary version would be pretty neat. I've never seen one, though.

Jester

The 1654 has the same case shape & footprint as the 2554.  The dial is a solid backed variant of the #8 dial that was used on the Princess.  The example I have has a hardwired handset cord & a modular conversion plate on the base.  I don't think S-C ever changed their base stamp to encorporate the plug chase & anchors into them--WE did.  The base plate is stamped nt.
Stephen

Jim Stettler

Quote from: paul-f on October 14, 2010, 03:01:32 PM
Western Electric and Northern Electric did NOT use 3500 numbers for these sets. 

Western's 3500-series had 66-type dials for Autovon.
  http://www.paul-f.com/weAutovon.html

To the best of my knowledge, Western never used a round filler with a 12-button dial in a production set.  Northern did and used 2500-series numbers.

ITT used 3500 numbers, but didn't have the Autovon numbering conflict.

The round ITT fillers have been available seperately for years, so it's possible to find WE  or NE sets that have been modified using those parts.
Paul,
Did Northern Have a TT mini-wall set?

I have seen the conversion plates in 10 and 12 button.  This was about 10 years ago at a show.
There was a "priority size" box of them They were all very used looking. 
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

Quote from: Jim S. on October 14, 2010, 06:36:36 PM

Paul,
Did Northern Have a TT mini-wall set?

I've never seen a reference to a Northern mini-wall set.

Western went to field trial with a "compact wall" set, but never produced it in quantity.
   http://www.paul-f.com/wecw.html

Dave F

Quote from: HobieSport on June 16, 2009, 11:24:07 PM
Paul Fassbender also said that WE didn't make these, and that NE did.  I don't know why the seller described it as a WE.  Maybe it has a WE handset. The seller bought it from a pro phone refurbisher so it could be a conglomeration of parts.  No matter; I just like the style and color and it's all ready to use.  I'll let y'all know what kind of animal it turns out to be when it arrives.

Paul is correct: WE never made these, but NE did.  However, some of the faceplates have found their way onto modified WE 500 sets.  Here is my NE 1500 set.  This is not a converted 500, but is an original factory product.  These are pretty rare in the 10-button version.  Hmmm... Maybe I should have posted this in the "Red Phones" topic.

paul-f

Quote from: bingster on October 14, 2010, 04:22:28 PM
Is the horizontal bar on the back a latch of some sort?  It seems like overkill if it is.

Yes, it's to lock the phone on the modular wall jack.  AE also had a similar lever on some wall sets, such as their Starlite mini-wall style set.