"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. Dial Identification

Started by BOB BONCHAK, October 12, 2008, 11:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Dennis, and mark;
We could use a section of phone types and photo gallery.
Make sure the gallery is located here on the forum, and not linked to some off site photo service.
Make it by manufacturer, that way we can have pictures of all types of phones made not just certain types. I know it's a dial phone forum, but being able to see non dial phones would also be very interesting.
Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 17, 2008, 02:32:08 AM
Dennis, and mark;
We could use a section of phone types and photo gallery.
Make sure the gallery is located here on the forum, and not linked to some off site photo service.
Make it by manufacturer, that way we can have pictures of all types of phones made not just certain types. I know it's a dial phone forum, but being able to see non dial phones would also be very interesting.
Dan

D/P,
You're thinking of photos with descriptions, for the purpose of identification of the various makes/models? Perhaps thumbnail images that can be clicked to show the large versions?  If so, I could do that easily, but it would need to be a "static" page, rather than a component of the forum itself.  In other words, I could make such a page and make it a part of classicrotaryphones.com, only it wouldn't be inside the forum area.  (it would be similar to the pages of vintage phone advertisements)

BDM

A picture gallery of any form would be a good thing. Similar to what the antique radio web sites are doing.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Mark Stevens

Quote from: BDM on October 18, 2008, 04:35:48 PM
A picture gallery of any form would be a good thing. Similar to what the antique radio web sites are doing.

If you get the chance, post a link to one of those radio sites.  I'd like to see what you're thinking of.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Mark Stevens on October 13, 2008, 10:53:24 AM
Quote from: BDM on October 12, 2008, 11:52:48 PM
Well, without getting technical, the #4 dial makes a loud clickity-clack sound when dialed. The #5 does also, but generally much quieter. If it's a #5 with a plastic cam, it may be almost soundless(ie no clickity-clack) when dialed.

I think you dial experts are like a secret society, keeping the truth about dial types a closely guarded secret.  Yea, I knew I could come up with a suitable conspiracy theory to justify my ignorance!  Imagine, expecting us to identify dials based on whether it goes clickety-click, clickety-clack, or clickety klunk!!!   :D ;D ;)

Mark;
The order in which you describe the sound of dials, they are, #4, #6, and #5.
Just thought you might like to know.

Here is the link top ARF's photo gallery, laid out by manufacturer, and also a miscellaneous, and temporary album.

Here is the link;
http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/main.php

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

There it is Mark. Dan beat me to it ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Mark Stevens

Quote from: BDM on October 18, 2008, 11:22:09 PM
There it is Mark. Dan beat me to it ;)

I'm starting to figure this out... you're all crazy!!!

Sargeguy

The 4H dial I have has a the "W" terminal on the bottom.  It has the correct pulse pawl arm, in which the tension is maintained by a spring and not the lever found in 5H dials, and it's certainly louder than the 5H.  Th dial was in a 1947 302, and had been repainted and, I assume, refurbished at that time.

The dial is an old one, judging from the welded holes Dennis was talking about:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

That's a No. 4, alright.  Just goes to show you learn something new every day.   :)
= DARRIN =

ntophones

Sargeguy,
I cannot see your pictures. =(. Is there any way you can post them again?
I am super interested in the dials.
Thanks,
nto
--nto

Jim Stettler

I was looking for a " new " book thread. I hit this topic, so I thought I would point out that Stan's long awaited dial book is supposed to be in print soon ( Earlish 2010). I am planning on getting a copy when it is available.

Now if someone could point me to the book thread, I will be on my way. I have a stack of collector titles to add.
Thanks,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

deedubya3800

All the #4 dials I've seen have a fingerstop that is curved all the way to the end, where all the #5 dials I've seen have fingerstops that are fairly straight for the last quarter-inch or so. Is this a consistent difference, or just a general tendency fraught with exceptions?

Phonesrfun

It's consistent, but like everything else in telephony, is subject to exceptions.  How's that for an answer?
-Bill G

Wallphone

I think that Bill is right about the exceptions. A quick search through my dials found a #5 from III 41 that had the full curve in the finger stop. So maybe the year has something to do with it too.
Doug Pav

deedubya3800

Sounds like a fine answer to me. #4 and #5 can be very hard to distinguish without touching them or partly dismantling the phone.