News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fix'd er' up and ready for sale-found on ebay

Started by WesternElectricBen, July 03, 2013, 08:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

I saw this phone on eBay, I was thinking this would be a good phone to learn on how to paint. And it would look very cool all restored with some original cloth cords. Then I looked at the pictures...

It looks like some redneck found it and "fixed" the ear pice from falling out with some electrical tape. I'm not sure if its a "original connector" either. The receiver and transmitter components look incorrect too.

Ben

Link: http://goo.gl/Af7jB

poplar1

You're right about the plug; it's not WE. Probably Japanese.

The handset is probably legit: If it is an F4 instead of F1, then the receiver and transmitter are the same as in a G1. The receiver cavity has to be reamed out so that a U-1 receiver will fit.

An F4 handset made it possible to use 302s on long loops (further from the Central Office). Otherwise, once 500s were available, the 302s usually were used only on short loops and 500s could be used on either.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on July 03, 2013, 10:50:50 PM
You're right about the plug; it's not WE. Probably Japanese.

The handset is probably legit: If it is an F4 instead of F1, then the receiver and transmitter are the same as in a G1. The receiver cavity has to be reamed out so that a U-1 receiver will fit.

An F4 handset made it possible to use 302s on long loops (further from the Central Office). Otherwise, once 500s were available, the 302s usually were used only on short loops and 500s could be used on either.

Hmmm. I think my 39' 302 needs long loop components because the volume is pretty low.

poplar1

Have you tried swapping the receiver element with one from another 302?

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on July 03, 2013, 11:13:07 PM

That's a good idea, can't believe I never thought of that. Though if it turns out to be that, the phones is all parts matching 1939.

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on July 03, 2013, 11:29:58 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on July 03, 2013, 11:13:07 PM

That's a good idea, can't believe I never thought of that. Though if it turns out to be that, the phones is all parts matching 1939.

You can always save the old receiver (if that turns out to be the problem), label it and keep it to put back if you just want to display the phone and not use it.

At one time, I used index cards, one for each new phone I got. I numbered the cards and labeled each phone with the same number. I wrote down where I acquired the phone, the date purchased and the cost. Then, if I changed or added a part, I put a note on the card of all the changes I made.

If I had thought about it at the time, I would have put down all the dates of the parts--there are 14 dates on each 302. Even on the ones that have all matching dates, if you record the dates of all the parts, you will begin to see certain patterns, like which parts were made before others.

I know that is low tech. Yet those cards have survived for many years, unlike all the computers I've had.

WesternElectricBen

That's still a good idea, I would make a card catalog and number the phone with a sticky note on bottom and all info in catalog.

Ben