and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red 500U modularized

Started by RotarDad, November 19, 2017, 11:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

With 11 bids already,  I figured it was OK to bring more attention to this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263328514408

The shocking part to me is that the seller knows the phone is "rare", but he proudly states:

"Most importantly I have personally converted this set to a modular unit along with new handset and mounting cords, a brand new factory transformer with enough wire to enable the light to work, a new dial, and 2 types of modular jacks for the application needed to install. As a former telephone employee I am the one who has done all the work and personally tested this phone to work."

One can only hope the phone was just a base, or badly damaged when he found it......  :)
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

That just makes me sick.

The seller obviously doesn't realize that the bulk of his life's work has caused so much frustration to the collector community for decades. Now, he prides himself on making an 'update' on a phone he knows full well is extremely collectible.

It appears that the housing is the same age as the modular parts. It has the ovaled logo, so the original housing was replaced.

So, that leaves the base, mushroom cap, and bayonet mounting ring (presumably) as the only original parts. I wouldn't pay over $100 for those.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

Unreal. Update?? More like destroying a fine collectible phone!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Isn't then his item condition qualifier statement "RED Mint Condition Manufactured in 1958 Looks Brand New" a lie and would qualify for a return under eBay policies of item not as described?

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on November 19, 2017, 01:51:03 PM
Isn't then his item condition qualifier statement "RED Mint Condition Manufactured in 1958 Looks Brand New" a lie and would qualify for a return under eBay policies of item not as described?
I could see how us collectors would see this as being untruthful, but I doubt eBay would see it that way. Saying "looks brand new" could mean anything. EBay could take that as meaning that he used later parts to make it look brand new.

There is 'clearly' a 1958 date stamp on the base, proving to anyone not in the collector world that the phone was built in 1958, although us collectors know that most of it isn't.
Christian Petterson

HarrySmith

I wonder if it was originally a Red Mushroom at all? I asked about the dial markings, we will see.

Nevermind, I just reread the ad and he states he replaced the dial. He also states "There could be a way to adapt this to dial out but can't be sure". As a former teleophone man I would think he would know how to adapt a phone to dial out!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 19, 2017, 02:34:54 PM
I woner if it was originally a Red Mushroom at all? I asked about the dial markings, we will see.

Nevermind, I just reread the ad and he states he replaced the dial. He also states "There could be a way to adapt this to dial out but can't be sure". As a former teleophone man I would think he would know how to adapt a phone to dial out!
I definitely think this was an original Red Mushroom.

Actually, the way he did it seems to be exactly according to Bell's refurb procedures for a Mushroom after the P/U was discontinued.

Jon Sower's (jsowers) black modular Mushroom seemed to be refurbished in the same way this was--replace original handset, cords, and housing with new versions, transfer the bayonet mount and light hood to the new housing, and drill a hole for the light switch (if applicable). 'Jester' and I also seem to have Mushrooms that were refurbed this way, albeit much earlier, without the modular notching. Note the thinner handset cords on the last two White Mushrooms.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1424.msg46950#msg46950

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1424.msg46950#msg46950

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18345
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

Here's the gold standard for a '58 red mushroom:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1217.msg15413#msg15413

Jorge always does such a very nice job on all of his phones

jsowers

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 19, 2017, 04:14:24 PM
Jon Sowers' (jsowers) black modular Mushroom seemed to be refurbished in the same way this was--replace original handset, cords, and housing with new versions, transfer the bayonet mount and light hood to the new housing, and drill a hole for the light switch (if applicable).

Christian, what a memory you have! Yes, this is the same travesty as befell the black one I own. Mine was a relative bargain about 10-12 years ago, about $20. You could tell someone was really proud of their work too, and it came with new mounting and handset cords and looked like nobody had ever used it. They did transfer the ring from the old housing and the cap and base were the only original pieces left. The dial was replaced too. If there were more of these out there, I'd say we had a 500U serial killer on the loose. Thankfully that's not happening.

A friend of mine asked the red modular U seller about the new plastics and they're WE plastics from 1983. I don't want to know what happened to the old red plastics and cords. Red is a particularly rare color for a 500U too. Such a shame!
Jonathan

RotarDad

I agree with you, Christian, you are buying a base and a red cap, plus maybe a metal insert that locks the cap.  Perhaps the best approach would be to ask the seller if he still has those "old, smelly, '58 hard-wired junk parts" he removed.  If so, there might be more value here.
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

If the seller had the original parts he threw out, I'd pay more for those than I would what he has left for sale. I already have a late fifties mushroom chassis with all the correct components, the correct bayonet mount, and can order a repro cap, plus the correct paint. The modularized housing notches can be patched using Acetone and mouseholes from a scrap soft plastic red shell.

Point is, there's more you can use to build an authentic Mushroom from what he threw away than what he has left.
Christian Petterson

AE_Collector

Quote from: TelePlay on November 19, 2017, 04:45:03 PM
Here's the gold standard for a '58 red mushroom:

Yes, always easy to recognize Jorge's RETAINING WALL!

Terry

Doug Rose

Most of the techs I have met who do not collect telephones know literally nothing about them. I had a NET old timer with a friend who is a collector looking at my collection and asked where did you get the European phones? He was looking at an AE. He was used to WE only.

I think this guy thought he was doing a good thing. We didn't see pics of it before, so there is a lot of conjecture. Yes, we all would have like it to remain as it was, he just thought he would get more money upgrading it.

I think we will be surprised how higher it goes, sitting at $151 now.

At least it's not a lamp!...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 20, 2017, 10:56:01 AM
Most of the techs I have met who do not collect telephones know literally nothing about them.

Agreed. Any time I read listings claiming it was checked over and repaired by a telco employee I think to myself that in most cases that means nothing! Just like there are many phone collectors who never had anything to do with the telephone company, there are many telco employees who just did their job having no interest in other aspects of the telephone business. And many who were telephone repairmen are lost if a different brand/model lands in front if them.

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 20, 2017, 10:56:01 AM
At least it's not a lamp!...Doug

Yes it is, it is just a little more sophisticated than others we have seen here. :)

Terry

RotarDad

Wow - up to $354 with over 9 hours to go!  I'm very surprised that this one is going that high....  Doug called it earlier.   Hey Christian, maybe you and I need to track down a vintage pair of modular snips to update all our phones.......   ;D
Paul