News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE dial bezel diameter Vs WE 500 dial bezel diameter.

Started by markosjal, May 18, 2017, 02:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I have a curiosity yes I am thinking Frankenstein but do not have parts here to check.  Does the AE model 80 dial bezel have he same diameter as the WE 500?

I am asking this because I was thinking about the NT/NE touchtone dial bezel that fills the hole for the rotary dial and Accommodates a touchtone dial. Since I have never seen these for AE phones I thought maybe they are the same diameter??

And just to be sure it was frankestein enough I would put a Stromberg Carlson or ATC touchstone pad in it.

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

rdelius

They are the same. AE had a kit to mount their dials on WE 500 sets.Had thousands of them that were bought for the 4-36 screws.Old phoneworks might still have some left from the pile

markosjal

So it sounds like it might work to mount a touchtone pad and NT/NE touchtone Bezel on a AE Rotary phone .

Cool now i'm off to look for a chrome DTMF pad

Mark

Alex G. Bell

The AE kit for using their dials in 500-type sets included special brackets since although the bezels are the same size, the mounting arrangements are radically different, with 2 radial screws on the 500 and a slip on arrangement on the AE 80.  You will have to improvise some mounting arrangement.  I can't say for a fact that there is enough clearance for the thickness of the 35-type TT pad if you intend to use one with the original L-C circuit.  It might need to be a digital version such as ITT Type 46 or WECo 72 to be thin enough.

rdelius

The kit I described was to install an AE dial on a 500 series set.Not for tone dials.The holes for keypads differ between AE and WE.A file would fix the difference but the mounts are different

Alex G. Bell

Absolutely the key spacing is different but aside from that he wants to use a 500 set bezel in an AE set, the opposite of what the kit was intended for, tone VS pulse aside.  So he will have to improvise bracketry.

mentalstampede

I like this idea, improvised or not. A DTMF AE 90 would be awesome.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

markosjal

The thought of AE 80/90 did cross my mind, as did an AE 3 slot to Touchtone conversion but only as fallout from what the original idea was however.......

One of the reasons I want this is for the phone below that I will hopefully have in the next few weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Fashion-Style-Oak-Automatic-Electric-GTE-Rotary-Dial-Phone-Telephone-/152535340907

?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=t%252BiyS2f4xDmZhgcPz7SKp7LHZ9w%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This looks like a standard AE dial bezel in fact it looks very AE 90ish

From what I can tell it looks like it has a rusty fingerwheel and decorative gongs. So I figured I could "Chrome it out" with something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-or-Automatic-Electric-Touch-Tone-Metal-Telephone-Keypad-Payphone-Parts-/262982319676

?hash=item3d3af7be3c:g:n2cAAOSwls5Y7ohr

this particular one would give me the flexibility to move the DTMF electronics to where they may fit better. I really think however I would find plenty of space inside the wooden box.

Actually liking the AE 3 Slot Payphone conversion idea.....

Alex G. Bell

Note the "GS-7100" ID in the clad on the back.  I believe that's Goldstar.  I have some of these dials complete but they are in storage, not readily available.  But chrome dial pads were used in payphone and other public locations so you may find complete keypads with the oscillator ckt and not have to cobble the dial together.

AE made an adjunct TT dial housing, kind of a prism shaped thing with rectangular front and sloping sides.  These were intended for converting their rotary dial payphones to tone.  The AE TT dial conversion housing is stainless steel and IMO more esthetically compatible with the square buttons and square housing.  Unless of course a Frankenfone is the goal.

It's possible that the 500 set dial bezel won't work on an AE payphone.  The normal AE rotary dial plate is normally  modified from the standard plate by machining away the external lip so it fits into the recess or within the outer lip of the back "ring" piece of the dial mounting.  Without knowing actual dimensions it's impossible to say that the 500 TT bezel for a 500 set will lend itself to the same modification and fit into the ring after that's done.  The only dimension we know is the same is the front part that normally passes through the hole in the housing, not the dimensions of the outer lip.

poplar1

I can't find a photo of the AE rotary to TC conversion kit for a 3-slot. However, here is the AE upper housing for an LPC-72-55:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15075.msg156518#msg156518
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

markosjal

The TT Dial is the least of my concern on this project . The Keypad ring in Black seems to be more difficult. Nobody seems to have black but a good candidate for a rattle can maybe 

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: markosjal on May 19, 2017, 09:56:18 AM
The TT Dial is the least of my concern on this project . The Keypad ring in Black seems to be more difficult. Nobody seems to have black but a good candidate for a rattle can maybe
I don't understand.  If this is to convert an existing rotary dial AE payphone it already has the ring.

Have you tried Phoneco?  I got a much less common aqua ("Forget Me Not") blue one from them some years back.

markosjal

Alex G Bell

I refer to a Bezel Ring as seen in Attachment

Alex G. Bell

OK.  I would not refer to that as a ring but as a plate or bezel as you originally did. 

The AE payphone dial mounting consists of two parts:

(1) a spacer ring which fits between the dial # plate and the front surface of the upper housing,

(2) the number plate itself which is modified from the one normally used on 80-series telephone sets by removing the lip or flange which keeps it locked into the hole in the front surface of the telephone set housing after the housing is installed over it.  It has to be removed because the plate fits into the spacer ring from the front.

I thought you were referring to item #1.

markosjal

And not so much for a Payphone. First victim is the wooden phone in original post