News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do I make a single ringer ring from 2 different lines?

Started by markosjal, May 23, 2017, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Regardless of how many moderators we have it will not change the fact that discussion needs to be polite and respectful.  I am enjoying the last few days of my vacation and do not need this nonsense every time I check my e-mail.  Unlike some other forums or e-mail listservs, it is not expected that a member knows everything there is to know on a subject before asking a question. This forum is intended to be a place where someone wholly ignorant of a subject can learn and feel free to ask questions from those that do without fear of being patronized or belittled. Granted the questions may seem ignorant or redundant, and the questioners may seem unappreciative, but if you cannot handle that without maintaining a civil disposition,  maybe YOU should take a vacation. Also this one-upmanship among know-it-alls makes you all look like you know nothing.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Greg, Terry and John I agree 100 percent. The Forum has lost its respect in talking to others. It started in the first quarter of this year. We should be helpful to all members.

My suggestion is every member has a real name and an email associated with them. I think it will cut down on issues like these   I have nothing to hide, I am who I am.  Let's stop hiding behind monikers and treat each other with the respect we deserve. We are all adults and I think we all have much more important things in our lives than telephones. Let's get the fun back in the Forum.  ..Doug
Kidphone

Dominic_ContempraPhones

Could the moderator please delete my acct here?

I've seen this before.  You've got two bad apples here with a bad attitude, no sense of humor, and some people who are very confused, and feel threatened that maybe the new kid on the block knows more than they do.

I had a blog on FB and they were only interested in looking at pretty phones.  When I tried to teach how the whole phone system works from end to end, they had 0 interest.  Zero.

I explained the touch-tone flaw, and I'm attacked.  Whereas on other groups, with professionals, they would say, "oh that's interesting, I didn't know that", and everybody learns.

But Victor and Mr. Bell want to stifle that.

So if you folks would be so kind as to delete my membership, I would be very grateful ... because this board is pretty toxic.

It's just a hobby ... lighten up.

AE_Collector

Yes we can Dominic. But, we really hate to have to do that. We appreciate your expertise on the forum and are just asking you if you can cool things down a bit and ignore those that are antagonizing you. You aren't the only one who is causing problems for us but your presence here has put things over the top recently.

There wasn't a switching area here at all until November 2012 when Dennis gave Dave and myself the go ahead to set it up. It has never been an extremely popular part of CRPF but it is a logical extension to the forum. Most here just want to talk about and look at pretty phones as well. This isn't a professionals forum but is a collectors forum. Most here know little to nothing about how or why things were done the way they were by the Telcos. I usually cringe just a little every time someone wants to know where to get a "working" ringer for their AE phone because the frequency ringer that has been in it from day 1 "won't work". I usually explain that it isn't "broken" and is a part of the phones history but then I leave it at that rather than getting into a big dispute with them. They are the owner and are entitled to do what they want to it.

I've seen you respond to people's questions with nothing but good info presented in a polite and respectful manner. Can't you just walk away from any discussion that heads off the rails so that we can then deal with those that took the topic off the rails? This shouldn't be so difficult. Everyone here needs to be respectful to all members and if there are a couple of members here that you just can't deal with respectfully, then don't deal with them.

Terry

markosjal

Quote from: Dominic_ContempraPhones on July 01, 2017, 12:57:33 AM
Then why is he using Asterisk?  For VoIP.  Why are you guys using VoIP.  It sucks.

He's talking about a fax switch with distinctive ringing.  Asterisk can do distinctive, at least I don't think so.

My friggin Meridian 9516 CW can do that, but DMS provides the double ring.  What's the reasoning for the one bell?

No I was NOT talking about a fax switch . It was an autoswitch to use a single line phone with 2 lines
I googled it and came up with this (dead link)
http://support.radioshack.com/support_phones/doc64/64199.pdf

( -- original document attached below -- )

Then I found this in google cache which will probably expire soon
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zynKmZFCk6MJ:support.radioshack.com/support_phones/doc64/64199.pdf+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=mx&client=ubuntu

One OUTDOOR LOUD BELL when any one of the phone lines ring.

VoIP only sucks if you do not know how to use it or are sending calls over a crappy internet connection. in my situation I live in a rural location and have only cell phone lines available.  I use a Raspberry Pi in a weatherproof box with chan_dongle where I connect 3 dongles for 3 lines (usually these are used as USB data devices, but used as voice devices) by way of a powered USB hub. It all goes in the weatherproof box with a single ethernet cable going to it from the house which connects to the network. I use the 2 unused ethernet pairs to send 12V from a 4A power supply and about 8-9 V arrives at the pi on the roof which goes to a 5V buck converter for 5V output. ALl calls ring to local extensions and on my (master)PBX in the cloud where I can get them if I am out and about. I have an additional gateway in another city where I also work but when not there answer the calls wherever I am on the internet.

I also have numbers from UK, USA, Canada , etc that connect to my (master) PBX

So tell me about sucking and why you, I mean VoIP, sucks. I have used nothing but voip since 2002 and although it took me a while to learn some tricks of the trade it works very well. Of course it will suck if you use g729 or GSM codec and especially if you transcode calls along the way. I have even seen people poorly configure VOIP so that a single call was being transcoded 2-3 times in the path and yes that sucked.

Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

markosjal

Hey guys just to let you know there are some Phalluses among the flowers here that happens on any forum . Sometimes people have nothing better to do then be a self proclaimed "expert" in everything. It has happened to me here.  I think overbearing bored people often proclaim expertise in things they know nothing about. Sometimes I ask stupid questions here to resolve curiosities and get three different answers because the "experts" do not agree, or one or more is not as expert as they think. Phalluses among the flowers

My OP is a way of evaluating options to do what I want to do. I can use a single ATA that rings any time a line rings (by way of asterisk) or do it the POTS/Conventional way . I am not opposed to hacking the 3 line phones as I am not an old phone guy "purist", and sometimes you need to do a good hack to merge the old and the new the best way possible.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Dominic_ContempraPhones

That wasn't our philosophy.  We supported all telephones in their native form.  I looked at Asterisk and some of their guys were really too much.

Even C*Net -- oh my God.  They were using Asterisk as a gateway, but kept calling it a tandem.  The internet was doing the heavy lifting.  They were using IAX2 because they couldn't wrap their heads around STUN, ICE, TURN, SIP ALGs, and what not.

I had good IP equipment that I could not interconnect with them because of their refusal to use SIP.

TelePlay

With the topic stalled and the discussion becoming contentious, it was decided to end the discussion but to make what was posted available to those who participated and anyone in the future who may find any of the information within useful. It was locked in its entirety with nothing deleted, modified, changed or added other than this explanation.

Going forward, topics will be watched more closely for digression and contentious replies than in the past. This forum is here to help people, to teach new members, to exchange ideas, to correct errors, to show off phones and to discuss phones or phone systems in a civil and friendly manner. There is no room for attitude.