News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500-not ringing

Started by david@london, January 04, 2013, 03:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

just finished cleaning and polishing a very nice aqua 500 i received 2 days ago.

it's really in great condition.....but it doesn't ring.

it dials out ok + everything looks the way it should (to my untrained eye)........in fact the interior of the phone looks almost brand new and undisturbed.

any suggestions ? can post more pictures if that would help.

many thanks.

twocvbloke

It's the usual, move the Black wire from G terminal to the L1 terminal (with the Green wire).... :)

DavePEI

Quote from: david@london on January 04, 2013, 03:55:40 PM
just finished cleaning and polishing a very nice aqua 500 i received 2 days ago.

it's really in great condition.....but it doesn't ring.

it dials out ok + everything looks the way it should (to my untrained eye)........in fact the interior of the phone looks almost brand new and undisturbed.

any suggestions ? can post more pictures if that would help.

many thanks.
Hi David:

Move the Grey wire on Ground of the network (same set of terminals the yellow is on, and move it over one terminal to the center of the phone - same terminal your green line is on.

Then your ground will have only yellow on its contacts. The tip and ring will have the ringer across them.

That should do it.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

david@london

..........must be the quickest fix ever. in fact i just did it myself......honest  by comparing the ringer wires' positions to those on another phone.

all ringing great now.........

thanks v much for the replies........it was just as you said.

here's a pic after i swapped the dark grey wire onto L1 .....

twocvbloke

They're a lot easier to convert than GPO phones, that's for sure... :D

DavePEI

Quote from: david@london on January 04, 2013, 04:26:38 PM
..........must be the quickest fix ever. in fact i just did it myself......honest by comparing the ringer wires' positions to those on another phone.

all ringing great now.........
The most common problem with 500 ringers. The reason it was as it was, is the phone was originally installed on a party line.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

Pre-modular 500s were wired from the factory with the black ringer wire on G. For non-party lines, the green and yellow were connected to the same terminal at the wall.

Early 302s were available with 2-conductor cord (302A manual, 302B all figures dial, 302C metropolitan dial) for non-party lines and 3-conductor (302E non-dial, 302F all figures, 302G  metropolitan) for party lines. Later, they standardized the 3-conductor cord for all lines.

I'll have to research this: were 302Gs not on party lines wired in the field with the red ringer wire on L1 or on GND? If on GND, you would connect the red and yellow wires to the same terminal on the 42A connecting block.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.