"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

F1 handsets?

Started by AT2796, August 02, 2020, 01:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AT2796

Good morning everybody!

While still working on my 354, I stumbled upon a question for you all.
The F1 handset that came with the phone is different than the one I bought from OPW.
The difference being that the original has extra screws in the transmitter cavity. One to hold the contact and one to terminate the wire. As opposed to the second one that has only one screw to hold the contact and terminate the wire.
Also note the difference in receiver contacts shapes.

I'm guessing that one is early and one is late, for cost reasons, but would still like to hear what you all have to say.

Thanks!
Andy

AT2796

Also...
The receiver cap on the OPW handset, the groove is not continuous around the entire circumference where as the original is.
No pics of that yet, but I reckon you have all seen it before.
Andy

Doug Rose

earlier F1s had the extra screw for the termination of the black handset wire. If you are looking for caps for F1s, ask....I have boxes of them. OPW is not the collectors friend.....Doug
Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 02, 2020, 02:17:24 PM
OPW is not the collectors friend.....

I will disagree with that. I have dealt with them many times and have always been treated like family.

CDN Doug

paul-f

Quote from: AT2796 on August 02, 2020, 01:33:09 PM
I'm guessing that one is early and one is late, for cost reasons, but would still like to hear what you all have to say.

Check the two charts on this page. The second has terminal variations made during production.

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#Fhandsets
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AT2796

earlier F1s had the extra screw for the termination of the black handset wire. If you are looking for caps for F1s, ask....I have boxes of them. OPW is not the collectors friend.....Doug

Thanks Doug! I'll keep you in mind.
Quote from: Duffy on August 02, 2020, 05:39:04 PM
I will disagree with that. I have dealt with them many times and have always been treated like family.

CDN Doug

And I'll agree to that. They were good enough to dig out a couple of '49 elements, even though the handset was not top shelf. But what the heck, it was only $13.

Quote from: paul-f on August 02, 2020, 05:45:50 PM
Check the two charts on this page. The second has terminal variations made during production.

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#Fhandsets

Thanks Paul! That's what I was thinking. BTW, cool site. I enjoy browsing through.
Andy

mazda_matt

Doug... May I ask why you think "OPW is not the collectors friend"?

Thanks,
Mazda Matt

oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)