News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring an AECo payphone

Started by Nilsog, June 10, 2012, 09:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilsog

Well I've finally committed, I'm going to sand this down and paint it black, and replace the plastic parts with black as well. I've torn it down to the basic case and am going to start hand sanding it tonight. Unfortunately there is nowhere around me that does sandblasting, so the entire project will be by hand... Something I'm not particularly excited about.

I'll probably be posting in the classified section regarding a black handset/cord and dial shroud/bezel when I get back to reassembling it. If anyone has these items and they're willing to part with them please message me so we can make a deal. I'm also planning on a chrome vault door from OPW, if I can scrounge the clams together to get one.

The long term plan for this phone is to be placed in a phone booth an acquaintence of mine will (hopefull) be receiving from the County Courthouse. The booth is in incredible shape, one of the old wooden ones with the bifold doors. Hopefully our plans will come together and I can share some pictures with you guys!

So for the mean time, wish me luck. I'll be posting updates as I move along. Feel free to critique or advise me, this is my first payphone, I'd prefer not to ruin it!

(I just realized I think I posted this in the wrong section, my apologies!)
Ken

Nilsog

Sanding came along easier than I expected!

I'm thinking I'm going to prime it with rusty metal primer, as there were some rusty spots I'd like to prevent ftom returning, then get some automotive grade black paint to paint it with, then clear coat it. It may be a couple days before I have everything I need to begin painting.
Ken

AE_Collector

What color was it? Ivory or Beige? Handset looked Ivory but the dial shroud looks more like "AE Sand beige". It would be easier and less costly to keep it the color that it was. Personally I like all the colors of Payphones but Black and Chrome Payphones are the most often seen variety.

Terry

Nilsog

It was beige, with lots of scratches and rust spots. I decided if I was going to put the time and effort into sanding it to get the nastyness off I would make it a color I would enjoy more than bland old beige (My least favorite phone color). I also thought about red, something like this:

I'm still not concrete on the color, to be honest. I think that red looks pretty sharp.
Ken

AE_Collector

OK, I agree. Beige isn't the most exciting color out there and the red looks pretty hot!

AE had "Garnet red" 3 slot phones but Garnet red is darker than this one, just about like the red WECo 500 sets. I have a garnet red AE 3 slot with all chrome trim. Coin Gauge, Instruction frame, finger wheel, coin return bucket, vault door etc.

Terry

Nilsog

Any idea where I can get a new instruction card retainer? Mine has had two of the screw holes cut off, for what reason I don't know.
Ken

AE_Collector

You are referring to the instruction card holder that goes on the front of the phone...like in the picture of the red 3 slot? Not the one that mounts on top up behind the coin gauge?
Terry

Nilsog

Quote from: AE_collector on June 11, 2012, 12:15:43 PM
You are referring to the instruction card holder that goes on the front of the phone...like in the picture of the red 3 slot? Not the one that mounts on top up behind the coin gauge?
Terry

That is correct. Just the frame that holds the card and plastic.
Ken

Nilsog

This part:

Ken

AE_Collector

I don't think that should be a hard item to find. I don't think that I hae any spares myself though.

Terry