News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1955 Rose Beige Making MMMMMMM sound

Started by WesternElectricBen, August 31, 2013, 11:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

One dial wire (blue) needs to be on F, along with the hookswitch wire. The other dial wire (green) needs to be on RR. The dial shorts F and RR together except when the DP contacts open up when dialing.

Ben, may I suggest that you take a known working dial (from a working 500)--not just the contacts--and try connecting that. Otherwise, you are trying to troubleshoot 2 problems at once: the dial itself and the wiring. As my 7th grade teacher always said: "Process of Elimination."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on September 01, 2013, 01:25:38 PM
One dial wire (blue) needs to be on F, along with the hookswitch wire. The other dial wire (green) needs to be on RR. The dial shorts F and RR together except when the DP contacts open up when dialing.

Ben, may I suggest that you take a known working dial (from a working 500)--not just the contacts--and try connecting that. Otherwise, you are trying to troubleshoot 2 problems at once: the dial itself and the wiring. As my 7th grade teacher always said: "Process of Elimination."

Okay, thanks for getting the wiring in order. I hear the pulsing but no dial tone.

I will try putting on a different dial, though I am unsure if a 9 type dial would work on this one.

Thanks you,
Ben

poplar1

7C, 7D, 9C, 9CA, 9CAM===all of these have the same connections. The later dials have two blue wires instead of one blue and one green, but still connect to F and RR.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

JorgeAmely

Maybe Dennis can confirm it, but I think the nylon cam lobe is pointing in the wrong direction (if the dial is at rest).
Jorge

G-Man

Moving the slate/white wire to RR was only temporary to see if you could get dial-tone so move it back to F.

The green and blue wires from the dial pulsing contacts should be on F and RR but not both on RR.
This is shown in the pdf that I attached in my earlier response.

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on September 01, 2013, 01:18:16 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on September 01, 2013, 01:07:06 PM
Did you move the hookswitch wire back to F?

Which hook switch wire? The yellow one?

Right now,

Blue and green dial wires on F

Yellow HS wire on RR.

G-Man

Here is a color-coded schematic showing the dial connections.

WesternElectricBen

Okay!

This saga is finished. I guess we were on some sort of wild goose chase, but southernphoneman noticed how the plastic ovel piece from the cam was bakwords. It's now flipped over and works great!

Thank you!!
Ben

southernphoneman

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: southernphoneman on September 01, 2013, 02:05:00 PM
:)good job ben, ;)

Thanks, at first I was really confused on what you ment but when you sent the picture I was like ahhhh...
I didn't know you could just pop off the cam.

Ben