News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Type 50 AE on EBAY

Started by Pourme, September 06, 2016, 03:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Last week I won the bid on this AE Type 50 "jukebox" phone. One of the pieces on my want list. It has the chrome bands on the handset and chrome finger wheel. Nice number card. I don't know what the tag on the front "KOP T-728" is all about but it gives it character. One of the bands is broken, I'll be looking to replace them. It won't dial out, won't break the dial tone. How does one determine the date of this phone?
I gave $62.00 + $15.00 shipping and am pleased with the purchase. Just a little intimidated by the AE configuration I'm not familiar with.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

AE_Collector

That isn't the first time that I have seen one of these opened up in this manner! Makes it kind of hard to work on. Put the two screws back in from the back and then remove the hook switch plunger to get the cover off and out of the way! Keep track of those two pieces of the plunger though....they love to go missing and can be pricey to replace.

If a handset band is cracked they can be soldered back together though jeweller skills might be needed.

Terry

Jack Ryan

Yes, Terry is right. Take the nut off the hook switch plunger rather than removing the screws at the rear. You'll get a much better view of the terminals and their labels.

Jack

stub

Pourme,
             Great phone !!!!!!!!!  Your phone shows up in the AE Catalog 4055 C , 1940 ,pg. 10-11 and pg. 46. It has two separate capacitors ,  the long ringer coils , chrome bands on handset and the same induction coil minus the -A . AE Replacement Parts , Circular No. 1712 A , 11- 1953 , shows one 2 stage ( 4mfd. / .4 mfd. ) capacitor, shorter ringer coils and same induction coil with the letter R added to the same number stamped on it . That's about as close to the date on your phone as I can find out . Here's diagram.    stub
                                                                         left click on pic to enlage
Kenneth Stubblefield

Pourme

Quote from: Jack Ryan on September 06, 2016, 10:34:37 PM
Yes, Terry is right. Take the nut off the hook switch plunger rather than removing the screws at the rear. You'll get a much better view of the terminals and their labels.

Jack

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 06, 2016, 09:56:10 PM
That isn't the first time that I have seen one of these opened up in this manner! Makes it kind of hard to work on. Put the two screws back in from the back and then remove the hook switch plunger to get the cover off and out of the way! Keep track of those two pieces of the plunger though....they love to go missing and can be pricey to replace.

If a handset band is cracked they can be soldered back together though jeweller skills might be needed.

Terry

I will do that...You are both right, this way is very awkward! I have grown accustomed to the way WS does things and I feel so lost on this piece!
Thanks!
Benny

Pourme

Quote from: stub on September 07, 2016, 12:35:07 AM
Pourme,
             Great phone !!!!!!!!!  Your phone shows up in the AE Catalog 4055 C , 1940 ,pg. 10-11 and pg. 46. It has two separate capacitors ,  the long ringer coils , chrome bands on handset and the same induction coil minus the -A . AE Replacement Parts , Circular No. 1712 A , 11- 1953 , shows one 2 stage ( 4mfd. / .4 mfd. ) capacitor, shorter ringer coils and same induction coil with the letter R added to the same number stamped on it . That's about as close to the date on your phone as I can find out . Here's diagram.    stub
                                                                         left click on pic to enlage

Thanks for the research, stub!
Benny

Pourme

Oh...& I will be working on my soldering skills!
Benny