News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

396a headset

Started by Pourme, September 26, 2016, 01:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

It is in excellent condition. It couldn't have been used much. It has both Bell Systems and Western Electric markings, patented in 1918. I'm thinking mid 1940's? Is it collectible? I can buy it for $25.00.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

Quote from: Pourme on September 26, 2016, 01:56:50 PM
It is in excellent condition. It couldn't have been used much. It has both Bell Systems and Western Electric markings, patented in 1918. I'm thinking mid 1940's? Is it collectible? I can buy it for $25.00.

Update and correction:

I bought it, but you knew I would, didn't you? Instead of Bell System markings it has "Property of American Tel & Tel company" on the ear piece. The 'horn' on the transmitter is plastic and all other black pieces are Bakelite. It must have been replaced at some point. 
Benny

19and41

Nice find, it looks correct.  It may be just a bit earlier on the date,  I must defer to the experts on that.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Pourme

Here is a print ad from 1938

Benny

19and41

To be honest, my mental reference was the old issues of National Geographic Magazines that I had as a youth.  Telephone industry advertising was prolific in them. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Pourme

To have those mags and the ads now...we never foresaw EBAY!
Benny

Pourme

Here is a 1933 historical photo of the White House operator using the same headset.
Benny

poplar1

Here is a January, 1929 Bell Laboratories Record article showing the "new" headset (Figure 9). Although your headband is slightly different, it is attached as described in the article.

http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/11268-29jan-blr-p203-operator-headset
(TCI Library)

396A may be the number for the transmitter only.  (The 395-type transmitter is the "Bullet" transmitter used on early E1B handsets 1928-1934.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

The set for $25.00 is different than the 1929 model.Bakelite case on rec and trans.Rec uses the same capsule as the F1.The transmitter has a small capsule inside.The 1929 set has brass cases on the rec and trans.$25 is not bad but I had several if the transmitters in military packaging wwll surplus and nobody wanted any at $10.00 at telephone shows.

poplar1

Benny's receiver case looks like metal to me (528) rather than Bakelite (11A) (716A). Benny, can you see if it has a  capsule type receiver, or a flat metal diaphragm? Also, is the 1918 patent on the transmitter or the receiver? Often expired patent dates are no longer shown (1918 + 17 = 1935?).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Pourme

Quote from: poplar1 on September 26, 2016, 08:42:47 PM
Benny's receiver case looks like metal to me (528) rather than Bakelite (11A). Benny, can you see if it has a  capsule type receiver, or a flat metal diaphragm? Also, is the 1918 patent on the transmitter or the receiver? Often expired patent dates are no longer shown (1918 + 17 = 1935?).
You are correct, the case is brass and the cap is Bakelite...it has the disc and #528...

What does that tell you?
Benny

Pourme

The transmitter has a patient number but no date.  Western Electric   396a    made in USA
Benny

tekuhn

I was searching for information on 528 receivers and came across this thread. I gather this is not a very common item. I obtained this item with a bunch of parts from eBay. Can't tell for sure if it's a 5 or 6, but amazingly, it appears the date on this 528 is 528  :o . It is missing the headband.

unbeldi

I think, in this case the vermillion stamping is the type number of the receiver, not the date.

Another 528 in a photo earlier in this thread has a marking of 230, but I believe in that case it is actually 2nd quarter of 1930.

tekuhn

I see. I thought they used Roman numerals when denoting a quarter, which is why I thought 230 meant Feb, 1930 and 528 meant May 1928. Seemed logical to me since mine does appear to be older with no patent dates. Thanks.