News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Spade Terminated Cord Problem

Started by Will520, August 16, 2010, 01:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will520

I have a phone cord that has a spade terminated end with green, red, and yellow cords on the end. I hooked this up to a converter plug.  I can make calls with it, here the dial tone and answer the phone, but the phone does not ring.  I'm fairly certain it's a straight line ringer, but I don't know why it's not working.  I matched the colors on the converter, leaving the extra black one empty.  Does anyone know what could be the matter?
Thanks very much,
Will

LarryInMichigan

Will,

Is this a Western (or Northern) Electric phone?  Try connecting the yellow wire to the green one.

Larry

Kenny C

here is how it should be wired.

Ringer:
Red-L2
Black-L1
Slate-K
Slate Red- A

Line:
Red-L2
Yellow-G
Green-L1
Black can be disconnected and cut

Dial:
Blue-F
White-R
Green-RR
White-GN
(note: white wires are inter changeable)

Switch:
Black-R
Gray-L2
Yellow-L2
Brown-C
White-F
Red-GN

Handset cord:
White-R
Red-R
Black-B
White-GN
(NOTE:whites are interchangeable)  
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 16, 2010, 01:40:48 PM
Will,

Is this a Western (or Northern) Electric phone?  Try connecting the yellow wire to the green one.

Larry
or that ;) :)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Will520

Will520

Ok, I switched the yellow and hooked it to the green, and the phone rings, but now it doesn't answer. I tried hooking the green to the yellow also, and it still rings, but doesn't answer still. Do I hook both the green and yellow to the green screw?

Will520

Ok, hooking both the yellow and green to the green made it work! Thanks a bunch for the help!

Greg G.

Quote from: Will520 on August 16, 2010, 02:08:10 PM
Ok, hooking both the yellow and green to the green made it work! Thanks a bunch for the help!

Don't you just love it when all it takes is switching a wire? 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e