News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I Just Bought Another AE Wood Wall Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, March 15, 2011, 05:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just won this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250788263592
( dead link 12-07-21 )
on ebay.  This one has what appears (in the lousy pictures) to be a proper mercedes dial.  I hope that the dial would make the price good.  I will probably be interested in selling the box with some of the other parts once I complete my other AE phone (http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4285.0) with this dial and mounting.

Larry

RDP

Larry, Looks like a nice phone, a good candidate for restoration.
Seems a shame to use it as a parts phone.

wds

I was the other bidder - you beat me by 55 cents!  I was also only interested in it for the parts, or maybe a restore if the box was in good shape.  I think the dial and receiver was worth the price.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

QuoteLarry, Looks like a nice phone, a good candidate for restoration.
Seems a shame to use it as a parts phone.

It is, but my other phone needs a few things, especially the dial, and it is probably in a better starting condition than this one.  At any rate, I do not have enough parts for two phones, but someone else here might be able to use the parts which I will not need.

I have way to many things (including the Emerson fan) to restore now, so I have no idea when I will get to this.

QuoteI was the other bidder - you beat me by 55 cents!  I was also only interested in it for the parts, or maybe a restore if the box was in good shape.  I think the dial and receiver was worth the price.

Sorry Dave, I know the feeling.  I am usually outbid by a tiny amount.  That was why I added the extra 55 cents to my bid this time.

It's interesting that this phone is also coming from NW Ohio, not far from the other AE wall phone.

Larry

wds

the seller of your AE phone isn't too far from me - not long ago I drove to Cleveland to pick up an old candlestick.  It was a nice sunny winter day, and I didn't want to trust this phone to the mailman, so it made for a nice Sunday drive.  Hopefully the seller will package it properly and will make the trip ok.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I left packing instructions and warnings about the brittleness of bakelite for the seller, so I sure hope that it will arrive safely.  I have personally picked up ebay phones from two local sellers because I was concerned about their safe packing, especially the SC 1211 which is hyper fragile.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Dave,

I just looked at the goole maps, and I am about as close to Findlay, OH as you are.

Larry

wds

The funny part is, I had been watching this phone from his first listing until today, when he started out at $129.  On a couple occasions I offered him $90, which he declined.  I intentionally made my offer today at $65 just to make sure I didn't pay what I had offered before.  I'm glad you got it for your price.  I'm sure the Seller is wondering why he didn't accept my other two offers!
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I had noticed that this phone was listed a couple of time before.  I am somewhat surprised that there were not more bids being that the mercedes dials are supposed to be so valuable.

Larry

wds

I agree.  However, I've noticed the last couple weeks that phone prices on Ebay seem to have dropped.  I saw a complete Dean candlestick go last week for $41.  There's another mercedes dial on ebay right now for $50 - I'm watching it to see how much it goes for.  I picked up a really nice 302 last week with cloth cords that look like new for $10.  Maybe prices are down because it's tax season? 
Dave

LarryInMichigan

If the phone prices have dropped, it must be because I have bought phones.  I am able to make any stock price fall just by buying a few shares, and I guess that my talent extends to antique phones.  I know that it works for real estate.

Larry

RDP

Larry, You said something about an Emerson fan? Should I know about it or you?

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: RDP on March 15, 2011, 06:41:23 PM
Larry, You said something about an Emerson fan? Should I know about it or you?

The Emerson fan that I posted on the AFCA forum.  It still has a way to go, but I am making progress.  I have never cleaned a phone as dirty as this fan.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

The phone just arrived.  The seller disregarded my instructions to keep the receiver away from the phone and left it in the cradle :o.  My heart stopped for a moment as I was opening the box.  Amazingly, the receiver shell did not break.  The phone also arrived with two 3 1/2" long nails sticking out through the rear mounting holes of the box.  Everything is extremely dirty, and there is light green paint splattered all over, especially on the receiver cord, which is in reasonably good condition otherwise.

Larry

bingster

With any luck it will be latex paint, and hot soapy water will soften it.
= DARRIN =