News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

It's a bit of a Frankenphone

Started by baldopeacock, October 25, 2010, 10:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldopeacock

Red 302 on eBay, sort of.  But the good news is that it can be yours for just $175.

Powdercoated case, painted handset, AE dial, cords of indeterminate origin.  Stamped 5310F on the bottom with what might be a 1963 refurb date.   This one's been around the block a time or two.   It has the F1W handset.   Am I probably close in guessing that this went to an independent phone company and was refurbed as a 5310 by an outside shop at some point, then got the 302 case, etc in its next life?

Or is it just a general mish-mash?    :o

===================

EDIT:  Link dead and external image no longer valid as of 3-27-16

http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Western-Electric-302-Vintage-Telephone-powder-coat

paul-f

AFAIK there was no Bell System 5310, so it would have had to have been done outside the system.

I have seen several other sets with similar markings in yellow (not a common Bell System color).  They've had a pushbutton below and to the left of the dial.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

McHeath

Tag on the bottom says it was once priced at 269 clams at someplace called "The Antique Warehouse".  Considering that it's really just a red painted 302 from an independent I'd say a price of 50 is more reasonable, in my opinion. 

It does look pretty nice though. 

baldopeacock

That white "star" stamp on the bottom looks familiar, wasn't that used by one of the independents?

bushman

Hey! That's my phone! Here are some pics of my 5310.

Bushman