News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What does Red ink mean?

Started by Partyline4, February 28, 2015, 07:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

I have been browsing through a few auctions lately, and I have come across a few that have red ink for the stamp instead of white.

does this mean anything special?

Greg G.

Quote from: Partyline4 on February 28, 2015, 07:37:07 PM
I have been browsing through a few auctions lately, and I have come across a few that have red ink for the stamp instead of white.

does this mean anything special?

Which stamps on which phones are you referring to?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WesternElectricBen

Maybe your talking about refurbish dates on 500 sets?

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

The red (or vermilion) ink stamps on the bases on 1940s-60s Western Electric/Bell System phones are usually refurbishment stampings, to let any future telephone installers or servicemen know that a phone was sent to the refurbishment shop to be fixed or rebuilt. These are not the actual dates the phone was built.

In case you're wondering why there is one in the same place a normal white or silver ink stamp would be, that's because there were no machines placing the ink stamps, and any repairman had free reign of where the stamp would be placed. A lot of them used black paint to cover up the original date, and would put the refurb date over the paint. A lot of guys were careless, and painted the entire base, which might have been scratched up or rusted.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Partyline4

I found a 5302G with a red "LOUD 5302G" STAMP.

Most of the one's I have seen were stamped white.

I was just curious.

Thanks

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Partyline4 on February 28, 2015, 08:18:17 PM
I found a 5302G with a red "LOUD 5302G" STAMP.

Most of the one's I have seen were stamped white.

I was just curious.

Thanks
Those were in red, for some reason.
Christian Petterson

Partyline4

What does it mean if it has a 302 dial in it?

Did someone just use it for the heck of it?

Mr. Bones

I do believe that dial 5302 telephones would have typically had a 302-type dial installed.

Standing by to be corrected, if need be...

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

TelePlay

Stopped in an antique store today and found a black '57 500 (stamped in white) that had 6 or 7 red stamps on the bottom, all starting with "R" meaning work was done on the phone at that date. Can't remember seeing that many Rework stamps on a phone before. Makes one think the phone was a Monday or Friday production model . . .  ;)

Had I know this was going to be posted, I would have grabbed a picture of the base. It was a nice phone with leather feet, black metal finger wheel and original cords but not worth the $30 they were asking for it.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on February 28, 2015, 09:43:41 PM

Stopped in an antique store today and found a black '57 500 (stamped in white) that had 6 or 7 red stamps on the bottom, all starting with "R" meaning work was done on the phone at that date. Can't remember seeing that many Rework stamps on a phone before. Makes one think the phone was a Monday or Friday production model . . .  ;)

Had I know this was going to be posted, I would have grabbed a picture of the base. It was a nice phone with leather feet, black metal finger wheel and original cords but not worth the $30 they were asking for it.
I know which one you're talking about, John. The only other phone I've seen with more than that many refurb stamps is my Grandpa's '55 500. It has at least 9 visible stamps, and far more hidden under black paint!
Christian Petterson

Dan/Panther

In my world, Red ink means stop spending.
D/P  :o

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson