and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

PTT 24 French Desk Set with Larger AE Style Dial

Started by FABphones, June 21, 2018, 12:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Thank you guys, you are very kind.

Quote from: RB on May 17, 2021, 01:34:23 PM
How did you get the handset to shine so well??

*I can't remember exactly which products I used, my little workshop is often reminiscent of an alchemy store.

The phone was in quite a state, rust was eating the metal and the handset was thick with grime.

It took quite a bit of time, patience, and the usual strong stomach when it came to cleaning out those endcaps.

*ETA - Found the info, detailed on reply #7 (with a good photo of how rusty the base was on reply #6. I had forgotten how bad it was).

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21102

:)

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Etienne

Just a little addition to the wrong, U43 handsets on PTT24 models: I once saw such a phone, with a strange label on. Instead of "Marché du... Manufacturer's name", was something like "Ateliers des PTT" with a post-war date (something like 1945, 46... can't remember exactly). So it seems the french PTT refurbished some 1924s with U43 handset and mother-in-law earpiece, just after the war. After all, this is exactly what happened in the US to WE 202, with similar designs.

MMikeJBenN27

Is that handset the Type A used on the AA1 cradle phone that preceded the B mount 102 phone?

Mike

FABphones

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on December 05, 2021, 12:56:52 AM
Is that handset the Type A used on the AA1 cradle phone that preceded the B mount 102 phone?

In France it is called the E4. The Model 1924 handset was produced before the U.S. Western Electric E handset.

Model 1924 telephone was designed by LMT, the French R&D arm of Western Electric (possibly LMT / Bell Labs jointly developed the handset).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble