News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Coin relays, coin controllers, need the 411 on these things

Started by RB, September 08, 2019, 12:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

I have a WE 236G payphone I am refurbing. Not restoring, as such, I can't paint.
But getting it back to original condition.
The next part, is replacing the coin relay assy. will have that soon.
My questions surround the coin Relays, and the Controllers that make these things ACT like they did when in service.
I have seen various versions of these things, Stan's 2, DSK's version, and I believe, one or two other folks have made them along the way.
I need to know HOW the COIN RELAYS worked, and which CONTROLLER works for each type.
I have no experience with coin relays, and HOW they functioned, So, I am needing an education on these parts of the phone please.

Key2871

Those relays, so to speak used DC voltage to operate the coil. The voltage is high, so DO NOT TOUCH WILE CONNECTED TO ANY CONTROLLER or it could kill you.
The collect voltage was reversed from the return, in other words the positive was changed to negative, depending on what function was needed. Ground is a common marking but telephone company's use positive ground, versus most automobiles that use negative ground. Same with electronics that use negative ground.

The central office would supervise the polarity, depending on if it was collect or refund.

A "relay" in electrical terms is a coil with an armature that when voltage is applyied actuated to operate electrical contacts to control on or off functions. A coin relay, is essentially the same thing, except it also operates a vein used to control the direction that coins go, depending on the polarity applied at the time of operation. There is also two small magnets on the control part of the vein that is also polarity sensitive. Newer single slot type relays have a switch but it doesn't control anything in the phone it's self.
The older three slot relays had contacts that can be used to Be open or close that can in effect open the dial if so connected. So unless a coin has tripped the leaver it cannot dial out. But that has nothing to do with the voltage needed to operate the relay. Which is typically about 130 VDC. In home use, less, about 60-90 volts DC. A important part to remember is DC voltage is much more dangerous in high voltage than AC. A.C is still nothing to play with. But direct current has more punch in higher amperage and voltages.
KEN

Payphone installer

Simple buy Stans second controller that works off Xlink you will not regret it. It works the same as the original central office.