News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How is Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting your community?

Started by Jim Stettler, March 15, 2020, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

Yea, some will never "get it" but such is life.
I'm looking forward to the vaccine that several are developing. To stop this darn thing.
KEN

19and41

It looks like there may be a couple of intervention medications showing promise as well.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

I hope you may read this page, tells a lot about our situation after 3 weeks with extremely strict regulations. No schools , kindergartens, churches, private parties, bars, restaurants or more than 5 persons in the a group outdoors or indoors.  Lots without jobs, etc.    If you cant open the link you may have to try tunneling.

https://www.vg.no/spesial/2020/corona/

dsk

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on April 06, 2020, 01:26:13 PM
It looks like there may be a couple of intervention medications showing promise as well.

Yes, you are correct in that. hydroxychloroquine has been used for decades for a couple of diseases and seems to be both a prophylactic and therapeutic drug for Covid-19. There are others but his one seems to work and has been approved for human use decades ago.

No, it hasn't been tested for efficacy with Covid but that would take over a year and since doctors all over the world are now using it as something that helps people recover. That's the anecdotal part Fauci keeps warning about.

I realize Fauci can't say it is effective since his whole life and current job is based on vaccines and cures that have gone through 1 to 2 year testing. Without that, he can't say they work. Doctors who have saved peoples lives with them can and are saying this can save lives. If you are on your deathbed, what have you got to use getting a drug that has worked even if Fauci can not say it is effective?

I told my wife that if I end up in bad shape in a hospital, make sure my doctor gives me hydroxychloroquine. I'll take an anecdotal cure from a doctor over dying any day.

A vaccine will take more than a year to find out which of those being considered work the best with the least side affects. No one wants to have another Thalidomide miracle drug problem. Vaccines are given to everyone, eg. Polio, flu, measles, tetanus, hepatitis, etc. Prophylactics are given to people going into a dangerous areas (malaria zones). And therapeutic drugs are given to sick people to make them better just as NSAIDs are  taken when muscles or heads ache, not taken every day to prevent those issues.

And if hydroxychloroquine is both an anecdotal prophylactic and therapeutic drug, we get a game changing two for one in a time of dire need. 

Simple as that. I wish the media would take the blinders and dunce caps off and do true journalism.

=====

Gas today was $0.99 a gallon.

19and41

Even if things seem too slow for our current tastes, just remember how long it took to develop a polio vaccine and how long it took to come up with an effective curative medication for the AIDS virus.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

The Gov says we may reopen the state April 26 based on current projections. This is subject to change.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This next part sound strange:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They are promoting a "howl" at 8 PM across the state.

At first read this sounds strange, however Howling is supposed to be really good stress relief and currently isn't that socially acceptable. We are being encouraged to howl.

Technically, I think we are supposed to wear a cool homemade cloth mask while we are outside howling.

I have met a few howlers in the past. Typically they only Howl when out camping or in town when a train is going by.

Jim
BTW: I have tried howling in the past. It is liberating.

EDIT>> That is 8:00 PM Mountain Daylight time. Feel free to join in<<EDIT
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

19and41

The governor here Has issued a new final shelter in place order today.  Nothing very padantic about it.  Basically the same common sense regs other states have adopted.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

On a different note, my wife went out yesterday morning at 8am to pick up a few things, and was able to get a couple packs of toilet paper!
The limit was two packs to customer, it's cheap no name brand but hey it works.
Can't wait till a vaccine is going to stop this dead, instead of being dead.
Stay safe, and healthy out there people.
KEN

twocvbloke

I was at tesco earlier for supplies and can also confirm they have reasonable (still below normal though) numbers of toilet roll on the shelves, for those who have held it in this long can rejoice...  ;D

19and41

I ventured to the local Walmart on Sunday.  Bought canned soup, stevia extract, tea concentrate, sugar free frosted oatmeal cookies,  fiber powder and foot powder.  I guess if one lowers their aim. there is plenty of game.  I bought a 6 and 9 roll pack of toilet tissue the first weekend.  I think I'll be fixed til at least October.
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

I stopped at the Super Walmart this morning. They open early for seniors at 6:00. I was thereat 6:10. All 3 things I went in for were not available. They had a lot of boxes stacked waiting to be put out and a few employees stocking shelves. I asked if the things I was looking for, disinfectant spray, wipes & Clorox cleaner were in the boxes and I was told "I don't know. Might be. Whatever is there will be put out shortly". I was on my way to work so I could not stand around and wait. I asked another person to check for me and they were too busy. Great service!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

I imagine you didn't miss any of those items there.  I got a bottle of lysol concentrate from an Ebay seller.  The cheapest one there. $29.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on April 07, 2020, 06:12:24 PM
Just came across this article.  It might be of use.

Thanks, interesting article.

Along those lines, I heard somewhere that things that we touch often should be disinfected frequently and that the virus can last a long time on cat fur so I wiped down my cat with Lysol. My scratches have stopped bleeding, the cat continues to smell funny and he is still mad at me.

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke