News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How is Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting your community?

Started by Jim Stettler, March 15, 2020, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

When I was a kid we had to get a vaccine, it left a mark size of a nickel. Hurt like hell, but there was no more polio.

I will trust the science....Doug
Kidphone

countryman

When I was a kid the Polio vaccine was administered on a spoon full of sugar. I must have been 4 or 5 years old when my mom dragged me to the official and mandatory appointment. I was an anti-vaccinationist back then :-)
Later at 13 or 14 the Pox vaccine was administered at school. I had changed my mind by that time but was sent away because I had an arm bandaged after a small injury. I should have returned next year but then vaccination had eradicated the pox and no more vaccinating was required.
Even if the Covid shot is not as effective as these classics it will push back the problem and give our immune system a fair chance to cope with it. I'll get it when it's available and recommended by my Doc.

Key2871

Yea the flu can be extremely bad. And I know i need to think about that because im not grtting any younger. And hope it diesnt effect me adversly.

Yes I remember polio shot too. But thst was mandatory for going to school. And yes like most things I got over it.

I just hear stories about some of these shots recomended for kids and it freaks me out to think some of these caused other issues.
I wouldn't want any body to be adversly affected.
KEN

twocvbloke

Last time I had a proper bout of flu was about 2002/03, went to sleep one day, woke up again wondering where three days went, not knowing if I had even been conscious at all through those three days to do things like eat, drink or use the facilities, flu is a bad thing to get, so always worth getting a flu jab if you're vulnerable or have health problems that could be affected by it...

As for the C19 vaccinations, Pfizer seem to have got one which they claimed is 90% effective, given the short amount of time they have had to develop one, that's pretty impressive, of course most vaccinations can take years to be developed and tested before they get approved, but this is an unprecedented case and the sooner we have a working vaccination, the better...

twocvbloke

Quote from: 19and41 on November 10, 2020, 02:43:29 PMI still have about a quart of hand sanitizer, but don't like to use it because of the slime it leaves on my hands.  I use 70% isopropyl alcohol on a portion of paper towel to sanitize my hands, then I can use lotion on them.

I have the same issue with the gel sanitisers, particularly the ones they have at the sanitation stations in supermarkets, that's why my spray is the mildly enhanced 70% IPA (probably more % given I added a little extra 99% IPA) stuff, off the shelf it's 70% isopropyl alcohol with a bit of skin conditioner of some kind mixed in, but it's actually really easy to make your own, you just need to mix some 70% and a few drops of vegetable glycerine (a good skin conditioner) and add it to a spray bottle of some kind, spray on the hands, rub 'til it evaporates and you're set... :)

19and41

I use a 70% spray when dining out to do my hands after getting to the table.  One other thing I do after getting home is to wash in a mixture of 8 oz. of liquid soap and 1 tbsp. of lysol concentrate.  1/4 tsp. is enough to wash well.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

compubit

I finally found some hand sanitizer that doesn't destroy the skin on my hands: Purell  Naturals, so I can start using that again ona regular basis.  Anything else ends up with red, itchy hands...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Jim Stettler

At work we have stabilized aqueous ozone  (O3). the machine is made by Tersano.

It is filtered tap water that has been saturated with ozone. Kills covid in 30 seconds. Stays full strength for 24 hours, and then reverts back  to tap water over 6 days .
They encourage us to take the spray bottle home each day for home use.
I usually call it snake oil or magic water.

It is the same principle as a hot tub or pool ozone generator.
I spray my hands before and after I enter a building. I also spray my masks.
It works very well removing grime from my  fire alarm panel enclosures. spray and wipe, and it is grime free. A lot better than many household cleaners and chemical free.

They make  home units with a 15 minute life span on the water, which is fine for home cleaning.
Jim

I have wondered if  it would work in place of Hydrogen Peroxide (O2) for telephone treatments
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

They just called E-learning for the school district where I work.
Last in-person schooling for 2020 is November 13, 2020.
We have 19 school sites that are already shut down till at least  then. That is about 1/3 of the student sites.

Students come back after the first of the year.

I will still be going in to work during the shut-down. It makes it a lot safer for us. It also makes it easier to get a lot of things done when  you don't have to work around class schedules.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Three weeks ago they shut down the high school for three days, because a student tested positive. Its reopens and no other issues yet.
Everyone wears a mask, even kids on the bus.
My kids are in grade school and either walk to school or get dropped off.
Nothing has turned up thus far, everyone is kept out if they dont need to be there.
I went to get my son a few weeks ago and called to tell thrm I was in the parking lot, they wouldnt let me in.
KEN

dsk

Lots of restrictions in Norway too, we try to keep the schools running, but at least 30% is internet based, that makes the good ones better, and ...   We have had perides of close down on the school where I am a teacher, but will open up Monday with 3/5 of the students at school.  As a result of all limitations Norway has had only 285 dead of corona in a population of 5.5 million. Lots of infected, but the health care system has hatleast held the death rate low.  Lots of people without a regular income, but to keep the crime rate down and the mental health up we use a lot of money to help them to not loose their homes... A pretty complicated set of solutions. 
The problems are rising and rising, so I will not be surprised if we get a complete lockdown. I guess we will not be allowed to visit family during Xmas this year. 

twocvbloke

Having done some shopping today, it amazes me how many people can't understand how to wear a mask, they place it over their mouth, but under their nose, not realising the nostrils & nasal cavities are where the virus is most likely to be hiding if they have it, just makes me glad I'm being reclusive and staying away from these numpties, and it'll be those who keep on raising the numbers infected too whilst complaining the most about being put into more lockdowns...  ::)

I just hope the "90% success rate" vaccinations created so far will be rolled out soon, getting quite tired of the lack of care from people who just don't get that they're doing it wrong in trying to keep the virus at bay...

Key2871

Were they wearing glasses? Because I know it drives me nuts to have my glasses fog up.
And with some of the masks I have I need to pull mine down slightly, not uncovering the nose, but close. It helps stop the fogging.
KEN

twocvbloke

They weren't wearing glasses, so no excuse there for them to be incorrectly wearing their masks...

As someone who wears specs myself, I have issues with them steaming up too, which results in me fiddling with the mask and my glasses until I reach an equilibrium of being able to see and breathe, a nuisance to say the least, but I'd rather have that inconvenience than the virus itself!!!

Key2871

One thing thst really bugs me is social distancing. And those who dont understand the concept..
Like those who refuse to get their carts out of the middle of the already narrow isles in some stores. Or they have to block the isle and chit chat with someone else, and the rest of the world has to stop while they catch up on the latest news. Have they forgot about the phone? And the convenience of using it when they are at home enjoying a cup of Joe..
I'm handicap and have hard enough time walking, but to be forced to stand and listen then chatter like chickens, while people on both sides are waiting for them to MOVE.
And in the check out line, they have to shove their cart into your rear end like your holding them up because your in line first..
This is hard on all of us, but some have to make it harder.
I've always been one to distance and be mindful of others around the store.

Oh well, somethings never change, even in a pandemic.
KEN