News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

‘Telefono Elettrico’

Started by FABphones, September 05, 2021, 05:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This pair of 'S63' telephones were for sale at a local Vide Grenier. Both looked to be in good condition and in their original box. The seller appeared to be occupied elsewhere, and reluctant to remove them from their packaging I was unable to take closer photos or pick one up to examine it closely. Often sold as internal telephones (or children's toys) I am therefore unable to confirm if these had any additional wiring in the box (as I have seen in other brand boxed pairs) but these were full size and seemed to be made well, so likely the former.

The box was in good condition, marked Telefono Elettrico, and had a sturdy acrylic lid. I didn't enquire as to their price.

A couple of tables further along was a French Socotel S63 in the same colourway. Image attached below for comparison.

From wiki re Telefono Elettrico (translated from Italian):

The electric telephone is a telephone that transmits sound in the form of radio frequency electromagnetic waves and is able to receive the sound transmitted in this way. Because of the efficiency and performance it is able to offer, the electric telephone is the telephone that characterizes modern telephony. Inherently the basic operation of the electric telephone, there are two main types of electric telephones. The first type to be made and still widely used today is that in which the variable electrical signal is transmitted to other telephone transceivers by means of a conductor which, due to its use, is called a "telephone cable". The second type of electric telephone, still widely used, is the radiotelephone which uses electromagnetic waves and does not require an electrical connection between the communicating devices.

———-

The telephone in the box to rear of image 5 is discussed here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25529
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

The way those were packaged leads me to think perhaps they were toys, and not actually working phones.
KEN

FABphones

Quote from: Key2871 on September 05, 2021, 08:08:06 PM
The way those were packaged leads me to think perhaps they were toys, and not actually working phones.

I believe they were often given as toys but from what I have read, these (and similar from other manufacturers) were marketed as a free way to be able to speak between (e.g.) the garage and house. No additional extension installation or line rental fees to pay.

Other makes often have packaging showing images of children speaking on them, the phones again sold in pairs, but with no dial.

I have no idea of how well this type of phone worked, I have never known anybody who bought them.

The seller was elsewhere so I moved on without looking closer. They were still there when I left.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jim Stettler

I think a lot of the home intercom sets were marketed as toys and as home intercoms.
Most are smaller than standard size telephones.

Home intercoms are handy, and the kids can still play with them.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.