News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric payphone wiring to convert

Started by Jf510, September 19, 2021, 12:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jf510

Hi..This is the first AE I have worked on too. I prefer WE but I couldn't pass up the price of this one. I did check the line cord and it's good. I realigned the contacts (pushed them back a bit), closed it back up and I was able to get a dial tone but when I dial my cell the dial tone stayed on so it wouldn't let me dial. I connected a ringer per the schematic and called my landline from my cell and it did not ring. I know the ringer is good.

Stan S

That payphone is a Local Prepay LPB 89-55. The coin relay has a set of contacts what will disconnect the line completely. The coil on the left controls that. The small coil on the right triggers a 'trap' which snaps shut. Try rocking the armature (top) of the coin relay. Try both left and right positions, put the top on the phone and lock it up for each position. One of them should give you a dial tone. Local Prepay AEs are polarity sensitive. I'm sure the TCI library has in depth info on that model.

Stan S

Just noticed you said you got a dial tone but couldn't dial. Sounds like the nickel counter has the pulsing contacts of the dial shorted. Try depositing one nickel in the phone. If that lets you dial disconnect one of the microswitch contact wires. They are on the bottom of the microswitch in the top of the phone.

stub

Trying again , LPB 89-55  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jf510

I put the nickel in as you said but the dial tone stayed on. I had lost the dial tone for a while but after playing with it,  it was the contacts not touching properly with the base and the dial housing. This AE payphone has to be the most frustrating phone I ever messed with. I am still not sure the location of the micro switch. Someone else had mention it too about disconnecting the wires.

Stan S

Do what Note 2 at the bottom of the diagram tells you to do.

poplar1

Microswitch:

Note 2 says to disconnect the two white microswitch leads from terminals 5 and 6 for 5-cent service.

10 cent service (default) has the wires connected so that the dial pulsing contacts are shorted out when the user deposits only one nickel (5-cent piece), thus preventing dialing out (even in an emergency).

If you disconnect or change any wires, it is a good idea to document the before and after wiring arrangement with written notes and/or photographs.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jf510

Thanks for the picture. I disconnected the two white leads and the dial tone stayed on. I then also disconnected the blue leads and still no change.  As I turn the finger wheel the dial tone volume drops but then goes back to normal when the finger wheel stops.

Stan S

Try reversing the position of the two phone line wires.

Jf510

I tried that but I am definitely having a issue with the contacts or levers so when I connect the dial housing to the base I am fighting to get it to fit so I can turn the key. The contacts end of bending. Are those contacts at the right angle to connect?  I could be having a dial tone with this problem. I think I am close to giving up and staying with WE.

FABphones

If you haven't already, this is worth a read (link also includes several 'AE type...' Paystation wiring diagrams):
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/gte%20payphones.pdf
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

I suggest bending the springs to be in line with each other. They should stick out away from the back board by 1/2 to 3/4 of and inch. That way when the upper is placed on it should contact each spring evenly.
That is if you have it locked, if you don't have a lock find away to keep the top close to the base and give that a try.
And if the springs are dirty, get an eraser to wipe over the contacts and the fingers to insure a good solid contact.
KEN

Jf510

Wow..1/2 to 3/4 from the backboard? The end of the tabs of mine are sticking out a lot more. No wonder I was having trouble closing the pieces together and locking it. I will bend them properly and give that a try. Thanks.

Key2871

Yea if their way out, even if you wanted to lock it you would have trouble because of the tension pushing back. When the upper is hanging it should be about 3/4 of an inch away from the back board. So when you push down and lock it, it's got good contact with each finger on the back, that way there won't be static or iffy connection.
KEN

Jf510

I was wondering why they stuck out so much but the phone looked pretty untouched so I figured it was supposed to be that way. I was having a hell of a time closing the phone and locking it. I am definitely going to change that tomorrow. Hopefully I can get that phone to work. Thanks.