News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Autophone Aristocrat FL50

Started by tubaman, November 08, 2021, 09:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

Fresh from eBay is a phone that I only bought because it said 'Made in England' on the base and I didn't know what it was.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-TELEPHONE-Black-Rotary-Dial-OLD-/304205996002

"Vintage TELEPHONE Black - Rotary Dial OLD
Not sold as working - cable snipped off - what you see in the photos is what you get."

Turns out I am now the proud owner of an Autophone Aristocrat FL50 (https://www.britishtelephones.com/autophone/aristocrat.htm).
I have never seen another for sale and that is likely because they were unpopular even when new due to their low quality build.
The chassis is actually reasonably ok but the handset does have a very light and cheap feel to it. The receiver cap is cracked in numerous places on this example (hence the tape in the eBay image) but does still stay on on its own - just. The dial just balances on its bracket and is held in place by the case.
If you are wondering about the colours under the dial on the eBay photos, that was a red white a blue sticker that someone had added, presumably for display purposes as it stopped the dial from turning.

tubaman

The innards :-

LarryInMichigan

It does look to be rather cheaply made, but it is stylish.  I would probably have bought one for that price if it were in the USA.

Larry

LM Ericsson

I have a green one, but haven't been able to get it to work.
Regards,
-Grayson

19and41

It looks a bit more continental than English to me.  Nice find though.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

countryman

For the price it is a nice enrichment of the collection.
Any idea about the production time?
Autophon was the name of a Swiss producer which must not be mistaken.

tubaman

Quote from: 19and41 on November 09, 2021, 03:14:07 PM
It looks a bit more continental than English to me.  Nice find though.
I quite agree. The dial is almost certainly a German part and the case design is similar to an Ericsson model of the period.

Quote from: countryman on November 09, 2021, 03:58:28 PM
... Any idea about the production time? ...
Not exactly but I think my example is early '60s as the capacitor is marked 'TE 61/1'.

Quote from: LM Ericsson on November 09, 2021, 02:54:00 PM
I have a green one, but haven't been able to get it to work.
This one rings ok but the transmission side doesn't work as I've discovered one of the hookswitch contacts has broken off. I need to rake through my boxes of bits to see if I can find a suitable part to sort it.

countryman

Quote from: tubaman on November 10, 2021, 03:01:40 AM
I quite agree. The dial is almost certainly a German part and the case design is similar to an Ericsson model of the period.

Siemens &Halske designs also used a pulse contact with a 3-wing wheel but I don't think I have seen the shown dial on a German phone?

1961 seems early for a flimsy design like this, I used to think quality started to drop much later.

tubaman

Quote from: countryman on November 10, 2021, 04:30:26 AM
Siemens &Halske designs also used a pulse contact with a 3-wing wheel but I don't think I have seen the shown dial on a German phone?
It looks very much like the one in my Mix & Genest M55 - http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23013
:)

countryman

I learn something new every day  :)
M&G was ITT group by then. The actual mechanism is too similar to be an "independent interpretation", while the front face and also the support frame are different. Can we call it an ITT influenced dial?

tubaman

Taking a closer look I found what looks like a manufacturer's mark if it helps at all.