News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Select-O-Phone Working with a Surprise

Started by Doug Rose, November 22, 2021, 02:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I was always under the impression these would not work, BUT this works great. dials out rings and conversation is loud and clear. Select-o-phone dial and tiny ringer.

But the surprise is a push to talk button Party line button. This makes a cool display phone. Just surprised it works

Phone is metal and just displays wonderfully with the red bar and the push to talk button...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

That is not a Select-O-Phone, but a 100 series.  The Select-O-Phone used some of the same parts, but the internal parts, including the dial and ringer, were almost all different, and they worked only on the Select-O-Phone system.

Larry

Doug Rose

thanks Larry, I know I had seen these crazy dials and ringers in a Select-o-phones...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

A large percentage of these phones had frequency ringers, so that is probably why they are often found with jerry rigged ringers.

Larry

RB

What is the difference between that one, and a normal Red Bar?
Minus the ptt button...

Doug Rose

Rod....I think that is the difference. I have never seen one of these dials working, I only saw them in Select-o-phones and that is what made me think it was one. I have seen these tiny ringers in Select-o-phones, but Larry made a good point of it being replacement for a frequency ringer.

When you press the lever it does move the red bar.

Phone is metal and heavy!...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

This is the one in my collection, it has a Kellogg AE style dial and as Larry stated, a frequency ringer....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: RB on November 23, 2021, 03:19:59 AM
What is the difference between that one, and a normal Red Bar?
Minus the ptt button...

Almost everything about the Select-O-Phone is different than a normal telephone.  The circuit is much different, the ringer operates on DC, the dial works the opposite way, it is NO rather than NC, and the button is for ringing the phone being called.  Those phones work only on the Kellogg Select-O-Phone intercom system.  I bought one once thinking that I could use it on my home phone line, but I had to to buy a replacement wiring block, coil module, dial parts, and ringer from Steve Hilsz to make it usable.

Larry

FABphones

For those who haven't spotted the slight difference in name, Select-O-phone are not same as the none affiliated Select-A-Phone.

Nicely explained by Jim here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1902
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HowardPgh

The Select-O-Phones that I've encountered were usually brown bakelite and had a doorbell button on the upper right area above the dial. Kellogg made dials of their own design (not AE) that worked normal.
Howard

Doug Rose

Quote from: HowardPgh on November 23, 2021, 02:36:25 PM
The Select-O-Phones that I've encountered were usually brown bakelite and had a doorbell button on the upper right area above the dial. Kellogg made dials of their own design (not AE) that worked normal.
Howard...agreed....fist pic is an AE style Kellogg. Second is the dial found in Select-o-Phones....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HowardPgh on November 23, 2021, 02:36:25 PM

I have seen  them made from    gray  ITT/Kellogg 500 sets as well.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

Here is a thread about a Select-O-Phone that I bought a while back: forum link.

Larry

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jim Stettler on November 23, 2021, 04:20:01 PM
I have seen  them made from    gray  ITT/Kellogg 500 sets as well.
Jim
I own one...Doug
Kidphone