News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New member from Florida

Started by cnowalk, November 28, 2021, 05:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnowalk

Hello all, my name is Collin and I live in Jacksonville, Florida.  I've actually been a member for a little while but have finally gotten around to introducing myself. 

I started collecting phones last year, with the purchase of a black WE 554.  My house was built in 1947, so I thought it would be fitting to have a rotary phone.  Of course, like many of you here, I didn't stop there and have purchased more phones.  I'm happy with what I have for the moment, but I'm sure I'll be buying more at some point (browsing eBay is fun).

While I haven't been collecting long, perhaps the seeds were planted early: my late maternal grandmother had a red 554 on her bathroom wall.  I also think she had a beige 500 elsewhere in the house (or perhaps that was at my aunt's house?).  I have also had an interest in phone numbers, I got my first Google Voice number sometime in college (about 10 years ago), and use to love searching to see what cool numbers were available.

The current fleet of phones:

• Kitchen: WE 554 (black; my first purchase) and Country Talk wooden wall phone (from late paternal grandparents' kitchen)
  • Living room: WE 302 (black; dated 1947, same year as my house!)
  • Spare bedroom: ITT 500 (brown)
  • Master bedroom: ITT 500 (aqua)
  • Office: ITT 500 (painted black), WE 2500 (black), WE 2500 (red), WE 500 (green; modular, purchased locally)
  • Garage: WE 500 (black; unsure of date but appears to be from the 50s, purchased locally along with the green modular 500)

Yesterday I received my new to me Panasonic 308, I've had fun making my phones ring, and outgoing calls sound much better to people I'm calling.  I also have an OBi200 for external calls via voip.ms.

I've included a few pictures, since I know you like them! Below are my WE 302, WE 554, and my grandparents' wooden wall phone.

Key2871

Hello Collin, welcome to the forum.
Lots of knowledge to be learned here in every aspect of phones. You have a fine collection of phones already.
Look forward to reading more on your knowledge and interests in phone collecting.
KEN

RB

HarrySmith

Welcome to the asylum, or forum. It looks like Phoneitis already has you. Enjoy the ride! There is a phone show coming up in January just outside Orlando. I live in South Florida, Coral Springs to be exact. I usually make the 3 hour drive to the show as it is the only one close to FL. Last year was cancelled and I have not heard about this one yet, Hopefully it will still be on.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

cnowalk

Thanks all for the welcome!

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 29, 2021, 08:18:05 AM
Welcome to the asylum, or forum. It looks like Phoneitis already has you. Enjoy the ride! There is a phone show coming up in January just outside Orlando. I live in South Florida, Coral Springs to be exact. I usually make the 3 hour drive to the show as it is the only one close to FL. Last year was cancelled and I have not heard about this one yet, Hopefully it will still be on.

Phoneitis has definitely set in!  I'll have to keep an eye out for that show, hopefully I'll be available and not working out of town. I was actually down toward your way today, I had to make a quick run to West Palm Beach for work.