News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

We 302 and caller id box odd problem

Started by troydog, July 05, 2013, 10:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troydog

This might be in the wrong place to post this question but here it goes.

I am on land line windstream. I only have 2 302's both dated 1939 other 1940 love them. But the other day get a call saying I got free caller id as of a service update or something like that. Then order 2 caller id box's from ebay and they work but not with my Rotary. Here is what happens.

I hook the id box;s or just 1 box to the line. New battery's and id works and shows the number calling like it should. But once I use the phone to dial they well not work aging till battery's are removed and put back in.  On the screen as I dial get no data. Then they will jeep saying that if some one calls.

They are label as
southwestern bell 2-9031

To add if I do hook a touch tone up no problem at all set the touch to to pulse same problem as the 302' Does caller id not work with rotary?

poplar1

I have a 305 (302 with on-off ringer switch) connected with a Caller ID adjunct and it works fine.

The caller ID information (FSK signaling)  is sent between the first and second ring, during the silent interval. I don't see how dialing out with a rotary dial would affect the Caller ID box. It is apparently seeing dial pulses as an incoming call with no call information. 
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Owain

Caller ID should work with a dial phone, but I suspect the dial impulses are causing spikes on the line which are upsetting the caller ID box.

Can you wire the caller ID box into the phone such that when the phone is off-hook the CID box is removed from the line, using either the hookswitch or the dial-off-normal (DON) contacts?

Mr. Bones

At present, I have a 500, 2 554's, one 302, and one AE40 plugged in for daily use, and there have been zero negative effects on the caller ID box I have. My caller ID box is quite old, and perhaps therein lies the difference? I have zero basis for comparison, with a new one.

Regardless of the classic phones I have had plugged in, though, I've never experienced any caller ID problems.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance...

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

troydog

Wonder if I should buy another id box one that has a wall wart and not battery's only. For a test on this I pluged in a new style phone with caller id built in and did not have any problems when using the older phones. So I think these box;s just do not like pulse.

Babybearjs

On the caller ID's... I get the same problem when I dial out..."No Data Sent" shows up on the screen. Just disregard this, as it will clear itself out within 10 seconds. all it is is the pulses interfering with the caller ID...  The caller ID does'nt understand this and gives you that message. I have a WE 444EG in my kitchen with a caller ID unit and have no problem with dialing out... BUT.... If I use the caller ID to find a number and then refer to it when I'm dialing... then I get the "no data sent" error, not to mention I have to refer back to the unit for the number if I forget the whole number I'm trying to dial....
John