"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early WE 554

Started by Vern P, January 30, 2013, 09:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vern P

Looking for an early WE 554. 
When the 554 first came out in early 1954. The housing was differnt then the later ones.

Look on the top of the 554, there are 2 "shoulders" these are there to hang the hand set from, rather then placeing it else were.

The first model didn't have these.   This is the one I am looking for.  Yes it would be in Black, or even maybe Ivory. As these were the fist 2 colors to come out. The others didn't come out until 1955 or 56.

LOT's to trade.
Vern P 

jsowers

Vern, do you have any proof that phone was ever produced? I've never seen one, even in a picture. The earliest 554 I've seen is from June, 1955 and it has the grooves on top and a black switchhook. Ivory came a little later in 1955 and for a while in 1955, black 554s and ivory 354s were what was available.

Below is a thread on early 554s that has a lot of info and pictures of that black switchhook 554. Also I posted a catalog picture of the ivory 354/black 554 being offered at the same time.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1161.0

What I've heard or read, and I don't remember where, was the grooves were added at the last minute before it went into production, so maybe the prototypes and field trial sets might not have had the grooves, but the production model always has. Has anyone else ever read that? I could be wrong since I've never seen one without grooves. I'm not saying they don't exist, but if found it would likely be a field trial set and exceedingly rare.
Jonathan

Vern P

Thanks for the info. I had forgot about the Black hook on the early one.

I have not seen one of these first hand, but have heard of them. 

That is a  good point as if these were a proto type or not.   I will try and find the info on who told me they had one.

Vern P

Vern P

After some delay, I have heard back from Rick W. who I was thinking had the early non-grooved type of housing.  He tell me he dose not have one but know of a few others that have them. Rick belives these were early production set, and grooves were added very soon.

As to the hook, I don't have a early Black one. This is what I have found from my own set's. 

4-55 dull hook, with "no hump" as the later one have.  Kind of looks like the later bright chrome one.

7-55, dull with "hump"

Last dull one I have is 11-56.

First bright hook with hump, I have is 2-57.

I have no info as to when the "hump" was removed.

Vern P

PS: Side note. I picked up the 11-56 base with dull hook on my trip. Paid to much, but O'well. This will be up for sale sson, as the housing does not match the base.   I found this set in a antique shop across the street from the "Pawn Star" shop.   

jsowers

I've seen:

black thick hooks (1955)
shiny chrome thick hooks (1955-59)
dull chrome thick hooks (mostly from 1956)
thin chrome hooks (1960 and later)

But I've never seen one with a hump. Where on the hook is the hump? Vern, are you calling the thickness of the switchhook a hump? The arms on either side are noticeably thicker on the early 554s. Sometimes the switchhook was swapped out with a thin one when the 554 was refurbished when I assume there may have been corrosion or damage to the hook.

A picture of the hump would help a lot. Also a picture of a 554 with no grooves on the housing would help a lot. Somehow, even with looking at 554s for twelve years on eBay, I have never seen one.

Below is a picture of a thick switchhook from a 554. Is there a hump on it?
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Here's a photo of one I have from Valentine's Day 1957 with a hump..............

(Ha ha)......Sorry I couldn't resist).

jsowers

Thanks, Dennis, for clearing that up. They make those in Winston-Salem, near me. :)
Jonathan

Mr. Bones

Quote from: jsowers on February 09, 2013, 11:23:11 AM

But I've never seen one with a hump. Where on the hook is the hump?

A picture of the hump would help a lot.

Below is a picture of a thick switchhook from a 554. Is there a hump on it?

Could this be the 'Hump' we're all puzzling over? Just a shot in the dark... It's the only discernible hump on my 8/58, unlike Dennis' Valentine's Day 554! ;D

Perhaps, the earliest 554 switchhooks were devoid of this feature?

Best regards,

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Vern P

Sorry for the miss use of the name "hump", but that is what I called it.   

I can't sent photos and I don't have one of the very early housings, with out the grooves. But I have seen one, but also don't remember were.

The part of the hook I am call a "hump" is the thicker part on the "arm" of the hook just before the "fork". Just before it enter the housing.

This is seen in both photos, of the Gray and the side view, with out the housing on.

The later thin bright chrome ones from 1960 and later.  Didn't have this.

The first one I have (4-55) is dull, but looks like the later 1960 type, but with think sides,  were as the (7-55) is dull and has the "hump" that was used on the dull and ealy thick bright ones, before the thin 1960 type.

Vern P

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Vern P on February 09, 2013, 03:51:00 PM
Sorry for the miss use of the name "hump", but that is what I called it.  

I was just kidding with you, Vern (about the hump).

Here's a thread that has more discussion about the various type 554 hooks, including talk about different finishes and when they may have been made based upon collector's own sets.  There are some links within this thread that will lead to previous discussions on the topic.  For anyone interested in the different type hooks as well as dates of early sets in captivity, it's a good read.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1568

Jester

I've always thought the changes to the hook were to make cover removal from the set easier and lessen the risk of cover damage.  It would obviously be cheaper to manufacture-- less material required.  Ironically, the large hooks were used mostly on sets with tenite plastics-- very easy to crack these with just a little extra force.  I presume the "hump" was included on the early hook to protect the top of the fragile cover from someone slamming the handset on the hook.  Besides the thinner fork, the angle and length of the switch arm was changed on the later hook to keep the handset away from the cover.
Stephen