News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring accessories and BSP's

Started by Babybearjs, December 14, 2015, 09:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I recently purchased some KS-19504L1 Arrow-Hart switches to be used as bell cut-off switches. I found some BSP index pages for key systems on the TCI library page and was scrolling through them and still couldn't find the proper entry. When scrolling through them, I found several entries that the switch could be listed under, now my question.... what would they normally be called.... line switch, Cut-Off Switch, or something else.... such a simple device and so very hard to locate information on.... I even googled "Arrow-Hart" and it took me to Cooper Industries...the company that acquired A-H.  has anyone ever run into this problem too?
John

G-Man

This switch was used for a myriad of applications that needed a simple on-off switch, but, as you have already stated, it is a very simple device, so there really isn't much need for a detailed BSP, though probably a simplified one exist. Since it is so basic, it is possible that those scanning for the TCI Library passed it up in favor of other BSPs that have a broader appeal to those using the Library.

G-Man

I believe that the List-1 version is S.P.D.T. If yours has three terminals, then it can be used as a simple on-off switch or can be used for switching between devices. Here is a diagram showing a S.P.D.T. switch.

Babybearjs

I'm still looking.... its got to be mentioned somewhere.... the problem is...."switch" referes to too many parts that makeup the telephone system....  but the part must be shown somewhere in the practices....
John

G-Man

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 16, 2015, 02:47:55 AM
I'm still looking.... its got to be mentioned somewhere.... the problem is...."switch" referes to too many parts that makeup the telephone system....  but the part must be shown somewhere in the practices....
What type of information about this switch are you looking for? It seems to be very basic; as shown in the diagram, it opens and closes a circuit.

G-Man

I've thumbed through a hardcopy of my 726-page,  AT&T Master Index and while I have found others, I haven't come across this particular switch.

Other sources indicate that it is rated at 125/250V @1/3 amp, but of course that should be stamped on your switch.

Since I don't know what the specific information is that you are seeking, you may be able to find it yourself, in this on-line copy:

poplar1

At 1/3 amp rating, this switch is definitely overkill for a ringer cutoff. We always used much smaller switches for ringer cutoff or ring transfer on 1A2 keysets:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10507.msg111666#msg111666
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

G-Man

Quote from: poplar1 on December 16, 2015, 06:44:16 AM
At 1/3 amp rating, this switch is definitely overkill for a ringer cutoff. We always used much smaller switches for ringer cutoff or ring transfer on 1A2 keysets:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10507.msg111666#msg111666

Yes, definitely an overkill and hard to image what type of further information would be wanted for a common off-the-shelf switch that happens to be housed in a WECo-gray, plastic enclosure and given a KS-number.

However, if further information is still desired, and assuming it exist, then a link to the AT&T Master Index is given in the previous message.

My earlier index book only has 726-pages, but this newer version has over 1K-pages, and though it is doubtful that one strictly devoted to it was ever issued, perhaps the number of a practice for it is shown in the newer index.

Babybearjs

frustrating isin't it? you would think that it would be in the KSSM with the other switches.... but alas.... not a mention.....was this switch used in a CO setting? could it be buried in the CO BSP's???
John

G-Man

I'm not sure why you think it should reside in key system documentation since it is a common switch that was used anywhere one was needed.

I've seen them used on Teletypes, mobile telephone base-station installations, on customer's premises, payphone alarms, in the central office, etc.

It is doubtful a Practice was ever devoted to it but if one does exist, you should be able to find it in the link to AT&T Master Index that was provide to you earlier.

Aside from that, what further information are you looking for? A wiring diagram and electrical characteristics have already been provided.

Babybearjs

I'm looking for the BSP that shows it and explains its use.... because it could be used as a cut-off switch suggests that it MIGHT be in the KSSM, but it is not mentioned even though other switches are shown. one would think that all the switches would be in one place.... but they are not....
John

G-Man

In this case, switches and keys are also contained in several sections of non-bound, regular Bell System Practices, while key system and other service manuals are typically a condensed collection of regular Bell System Practices that are  Practices that have been bound into a group pertaining to specific subjects.

Off the top of my head, I believe switches in general are covered in 030, 032, 463 and other sections, but you can search the Master Index of Bell System Practices shown in the link from the earlier post, to verify that this is correct.

It is doubtful that they printed a devoted Practice, anymore than they would have for 10-32 screws, paperclips or other mundane items, since they all have a myriad of common uses, but again, you are welcome to search through the Master Index to be sure.

Babybearjs

OK, Time to change the subject.... since the BSP I'm looking for doesn't have what I'm inquiring, lets try this.....Alarm Annunciator Box #15.   does anyone know anything about these? and can I get parts for them?
John

G-Man

As has been discussed in the past regarding these indicators, they are wired according to a "J" ED-number that should be stamped somewhere on it, so show all of the markings.

Babybearjs

the only markings on it was the "15" stamped under the piano hinge.  so, I assumed it was a #15 Box.... there is no original decals on it and the original "Western Electric" decal from the front was worn off....  what BSP Covers these cabinets? there is a shadow of a decal "PBX Alarm CO" on the upper left hand side, so that's my only clue.... if I can find the spare parts I have for these, I can add some more lights.
John