News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Are the early two tones really THIS VALUABLE?

Started by Dan, February 08, 2009, 10:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

I agree on the straight rubber cords on 302s. To me, they just don't look right, nor do they on D1s or any of the other cradle mounts.

I prefer a straight brown cloth cord on a 302, both for a handset cord and a mounting cord, although I admit that coiled cords don't look half bad. All of my 302s have either thick coiled cords or straight cloth cords.

At first, I wasn't too crazy about the straight cords on a 500 set, however it's really grown on me. Like I said, I find a straight cord to be a lot more practical and better wearing than a coiled cord. I really do expect that I'm going to make this new straight cord '53 500 set a daily driver-my only other straight corded 500 set is my '52 set, that I feel like is really too nice to use more than occasionally.

rp2813

I think straight cords on 500's provide a very distinctive look.  The one in Dennis's avatar is a very handsome early model.  It's a practicality thing for me, but one day maybe I'll find a straight cord for my 10/50 and place that phone where it gets less use and make one of my '53's my daily driver. 

To me, 302's can be made of components manufactured anywhere from the 1930's to the 1960's so anything goes on them.  I prefer straight cords myself.  The 302 that was issued to us in 1960 had a straight rubber cord on it so I find either cloth or rubber acceptable.  I think if you have a matching dates 302 then it's important to use the proper cord for the time, but otherwise any cord could be considered appropriate.

Ralph
Ralph

benhutcherson

Ralph,
I'm pretty that the one in Dennis's avatar is a 5302-notice the F-1 handset. In any case, though, it's a very classy telephone. I'm rather partial to 5302s myself, especially ones with an F-1 handset. For a while, I was using one similar to Dennis's, albeit not nearly as nice or as pretty, as a daily driver.

And, now, I present for your viewing pleasure a genuine unmolested '52 500 set with a straight handset cord

Dennis Markham

The phone in my Avatar is a model 500 that is completely dated with my birth date (4-22-55).  The handset is a G1.  It sits on a stand next to my bed and I use it every day. 

Posting from my blog site:

http://www.vintagerotaryphones.com/?p=79

Dennis Markham

Ben, those phones are very nice, especially the '52.  Hurry, get that phone off the edge of the table!  I cringe at the thought of it hitting the floor.  :)

benhutcherson

Ooops, sorry Dennis

I could have sworn that, from the angle the photo was taken, the handset on there was an F-1. On a second look, I can see that it is in fact a G-1.

The photo I posted is a "file photo"-I've since rearranged so that I don't have any telephone precariously hanging off the edge like that.

rp2813

Ben, that is a very nice looking unmolested '52.  The straight cord does give the 500 a more stately vintage look.

I saw a 5302 with F1 handset at an antique shop the other day for $50.  If it had a G1 I might have considered it (I'm sure they would have come down on the price) but after seeing a 5302 up close and personal it really does look chopped off in back.  I think the 500's are better looking phones but the 5302 is such a great example of Ma Bell's resourcefulness that I still want one. 

Ralph
Ralph

McHeath

That's a nice collection you have there Ben, very nice.  I don't have any straight cords on my 500s but certainly have been looking.  Oldphoneworks does not have the correct cords, which is odd, so I'm left prowling e-bay.  I too need to get a 5302 as an example of good old repurposing, it would really be cool to find one in a color of any sort.

BDM

Quote from: McHeath on February 12, 2009, 10:42:59 PM
That's a nice collection you have there Ben, very nice.  I don't have any straight cords on my 500s but certainly have been looking.  Oldphoneworks does not have the correct cords, which is odd, so I'm left prowling e-bay.  I too need to get a 5302 as an example of good old repurposing, it would really be cool to find one in a color of any sort.

I don't believe a 5302 came in anything but black. Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Well I'll be damned with a mosquito!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o  Thanks Bing
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

winkydink

Quote from: McHeath on February 12, 2009, 10:42:59 PM

These are not in colors but this is a very interesting auction.  6 NOS 5302 shells.  If anyone happens to purchase this lot I might be interested in one of the shells.  I don't have a 5302 yet, but thats on the radar screen.

http://tinyurl.com/5302NOSShells

I would think an auction like this does not come around too often.

-WD

Dan

I bought a 5302 and the family didn't notice it was any different than a 500. They don't lke the F1 handset (less comfortable, the wife can't cradle it on her shoulder as well). I like the 302 ring it has . Mine is a thick corded one.

I have never seen a colored one ever come up on ebay! Other rarities I have never seen are Oxford Grey 500's, light grey 500's, rose beige 500's (except I saw a nice 554 rose beige wall phone once). I'm wondering if I EVER am going to get a full set of colored 500's.

One more thing-- look @ this chart

http://www.paul-f.com/color.htm

Has anyone ever seen a WE lime green 500? I have seen Stromberg-Carlson's but NEVER a WE. I was wondering if this was a mistake. I also wonder if anyone has or has seen a peach or rust or salmon 500 on this chart. These would be last on my list to collect, since  they are modular.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Bingster, thanks for posting those photos of Bob Loeser's colored 5302's.  He is the same collector that owns/owned that rare wall phone as well.  I saw these four phones in person and they were as remarkable in person as in the photos.  I believe a year or so ago he sold them on eBay as a Buy It Now for $3,500.  They didn't last long.  I could be mistaken on the price but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.  There have been a few faded white ones on eBay but they're pretty rare.  They don't go cheap. 

benhutcherson

There's no question that an F-1 is one of the worst designs out there if you like to talk hands-free, except perhaps for a thin cell phone that doesn't have anything for your shoulder to grip.

I think that the G-1 handset is the best out there for hands-free use, especially with one of those shoulder pads that you sometimes see attached to them.