"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How old is this phone & ringer?

Started by Dewdrop, October 16, 2011, 12:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewdrop

Do these two go together?

One of my accounts at work gave this to me months ago and I'm just now getting it out. All I have done is wiped it off, opened the box and cleaned out the cobwebs, and turned the crank to hear the bells.

The Stromberg-Carlson handset cord has several cracks and the phone is missing one rubber foot. The phone is light and the wooden box is HEAVY.

The metal plate inside is:
KELLOGG
CHICAGO - U.S.A.

This may be my oldest phone.

Any information or opinions are appreciated.

Debbie
Debbie

LarryInMichigan

Debbie,

You have a real mixed bag there.  The phone is a Stromberg Carlson 124?, probably 1940s.  They tend to not be worth much.  The box is a Kellogg magneto subset, possibly 1920s-1930s (my guess), and the handset is a Leich 1940s style.  The phone is probably empty, except for a hook switch.

Larry

Dewdrop

Debbie

GG

However, you can get another magneto (crank) phone, or as many as you like, and put them all together as a household intercom system.  If that interests you, ask here and a dozen of us will step up to describe how it's done.   

AE_Collector

Those phones are frequently missing a foot or two. I have one short a foot and saw one in an antique/junk store several years ago that was missing two feet.

Terry