News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Verizon/Pioneers Auction "by-catch"

Started by Sargeguy, August 06, 2018, 01:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Here are a few items that were mixed in with the lots I bought, some look familiar, others are beyond me. First up we have what I would characterize as hazardous waste:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Next we have a large cone 360 transmitter used for dispatching?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RB

Nice catch!
I read something about that speaker a while back.
The red lite came on when it was powered up and working

TelePlay

Quote from: Sargeguy on August 06, 2018, 01:14:06 PM
Here are a few items that were mixed in with the lots I bought, some look familiar, others are beyond me. First up we have what I would characterize as hazardous waste:

Regular Member Post

If you have the soldering iron they fit into, they are worth keeping. Like a center fire round, they need a firing pin to ignite them, on the end of the iron.

Pages 3 to 5 in the BSP found on the TCI site.

Have not seen one of these before. A cool tool from days gone by.

TelePlay

Quote from: RB on August 06, 2018, 01:26:37 PM
Nice catch!
I read something about that speaker a while back.
The red lite came on when it was powered up and working

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18265.0

cihensley@aol.com

Sargeguy:

Those cone speakers were mounted on the ceiling around the Main Distributing Frames (MDFD) - multiple speakers - in a central office. They were a communications medium between the Frame and the local Test Board (The Test Board may have been in the same building as the Frame or at a remote location). the Test Board would call "Frame" over the speaker. The Frame would answer after activating the return path by pulling on the chain, which can be seen in one of the pictures. The Test Board would call the Frame multiple times a day ago to request such things as a short, heat coil removal or placement of a test shoe on a particular cable pair.

Chuck

Sargeguy

Thanks. The chain in the picture is for hanging off the ceiling.  There is a hole for a pull chain in the side of the transmitter.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

More treasure
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

and more...
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

paul-f

Seeing the photo of the 38A Test Set reminded me that I wrote an article about them last fall.

There's a topic with link to a YouTube video here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20900.0
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Sargeguy

Well if anyone wants to try their hand at restoring one of these gems from the Golden Age of Telephony, feel free to make me an offer on mine.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I was a little surprised at the $331 final selling price for this one, I thought it was a piece of junk!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392124897616?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409