News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1937 302, or 304?

Started by Tim Mc, August 18, 2013, 04:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Mc

I was fortunate enough to get this vented 302 with early I-37 dates back in July.  The numbers match except for the ringer (10/40) and the 101A coil (10/55).  Unfortunately the riveted feet were ground off and replaced.  It's not mint but I like it. 

It has the smoothest 5H dial I have had out of about 27 302s between '37 and '52, and it's the earliest with a I-37 date and very nice 149E dial plate dated IV-36.  I gave it new paint, cords and recovered the feet.

Does anyone have any insight on the MR-I-41 and MRIII42 markings on the base?

Also, the base is stamped "H1-3", so may have originally been a 304, but it doesn't have the L-shaped terminal block like my 1939 304 (pic for comparison).  Is this a 304 refurb'd into a 302?

Thanks,

Tim

poplar1

Quote from: Tim Mc on August 18, 2013, 04:03:32 PM
I was fortunate enough to get this vented 302 with early I-37 dates back in July.  The numbers match except for the ringer (10/40) and the 101A coil (10/55).  Unfortunately the riveted feet were ground off and replaced.  It's not mint but I like it. 

It has the smoothest 5H dial I have had out of about 27 302s between '37 and '52, and it's the earliest with a I-37 date and very nice 149E dial plate dated IV-36.  I gave it new paint, cords and recovered the feet.

Does anyone have any insight on the MR-I-41 and MRIII42 markings on the base?

Also, the base is stamped "H1-3", so may have originally been a 304, but it doesn't have the L-shaped terminal block like my 1939 304 (pic for comparison).  Is this a 304 refurb'd into a 302?

Thanks,

Tim

Since it is "H1-3," that indicates a black H1 ("-3" means black); so it is a 302.  "H3" or "H3-3" indicates a 304.

I-41 and III42 are rebuild dates. M may be the location of the WE shop that rebuilt it.

Does the dial have a solid phenol pulse pawl rather than the usual one?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Tim Mc

Thanks for the info!  Mystery solved - this is a black H1 as I'm fairly sure it's stamped "H1-3" on the shell.  I'm not sure about the pulse pawl.  I've uploaded a photo, but not sure if that will help identify the pawl or not.  It looks like solid plastic instead of a rubber or plastic over a metal rod.

poplar1

Yes, that's the phenol pulse pawl. Really makes a "silent" dial. Only made these for a short time, except maybe on the test board dials.

wds

That's really a nice 302.  Is that original paint, or has it been refurbished?
Dave

Tim Mc

Thanks, it has been repainted.  I was going to keep the original finish, but it was a bit too rough.  I used Rust-OLeum high performance enamel, gloss black.  I usually have my 302s powdercoated, but on this one I decided to paint it.  Strip, sand, primer and a few wet coats, then wet sand with 1500 and 2000 grit.  Finished off with some rubbing compound.

Doug Rose

Tim....the dial plate is absolutely beautiful. I felt for sure it had to be a reproduction. Amazing! Best one I have ever seen....great find!!! Is it possible to post a picutre of just the dial plate?...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Tim Mc

Sure thing Doug.  The dial plate made this '37 even more special.

Doug Rose

WOW!!!   Really really nice....Doug
Kidphone

Tim Mc

Does anyone know when the 304 was first released?  I've checked a few online resources but haven't found a definitive answer.  I have a 304 dated 2/39 with the correct 101B and B2A ringer (photo above), so I assume it was likely before 1939.  

poplar1

Quote from: Tim Mc on August 19, 2013, 12:08:04 PM
Does anyone know when the 304 was first released?  I've checked a few online resources but haven't found a definitive answer.  I have a 304 dated 2/39 with the correct 101B and B2A ringer (photo above), so I assume it was likely before 1939. 

They are shown in BSP Section  C63.412, Issue 2, 9-1-38 Telephone Sets, 304 Type, Connections.
There are some early 304s with "H3-3" stamped on the outside of the housing; these are probably from early 1937.

andre_janew

The dialplate in Reply #7 is most unusual as it features only four letters of the alphabet.  I've never seen one quite like it.  I never knew they make one like that!

Phonesrfun

Those letters were used for party line suffixes for ringing on 4-party lines.  It is interesting that the town that I live in had these suffixes before the town converted from manual to dial.  At that point everyone had unique 7 digit numbers, even though there were parties on many actual lines.

With the suffix situation in a dial exchange, there would have had to be an extra digit to dial for those on the party line.

I have seen those number plates on dials before.
-Bill G

poplar1

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 15, 2014, 07:48:38 PM
Those letters were used for party line suffixes for ringing on 4-party lines.  It is interesting that the town that I live in had these suffixes before the town converted from manual to dial.  At that point everyone had unique 7 digit numbers, even though there were parties on many actual lines.

With the suffix situation in a dial exchange, there would have had to be an extra digit to dial for those on the party line.

I have seen those number plates on dials before.

Bell used the J, M, R and W suffixes only with phone numbers belonging to subscribers on manual lines. They were used only when calling from a dial office to a manual office. As you pointed out, once an office converted to dial, letters were dropped.

paul-f

We've had great discussions on the subject of dial number plates.  Check out this topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10624.0

and a summary chart:

http://www.paul-f.com/weNumberPlates.html
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line